Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Trail Team FJ and the cruise paddle snapped off. I have the new module )($117.00 part at the dealer) and I don't know how to get to it. Did a pretty extensive search on the web and couldn't find anything. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Karl

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
I'm sure this is mentioned in the threads Baz linked for you but as a reminder........
Un hook your battery

Accidental air bag deployment will ruin your day, and probably break yor nose

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of that happening on an FJ. Was it under normal circumstances or did a slip-up occur where the stalk was hit with some kind of considerable force?

That would be awful, and I hate it happened to you. Hope the install of the new one goes smooth and easy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure this is mentioned in the threads Baz linked for you but as a reminder........
Un hook your battery

Accidental air bag deployment will ruin your day, and probably break yor nose

Yea they're dangerous. I am trying to decide if having one on the wheel is worth it at all. I'm okay with side curtains and all that but it seems like the wheel one deploys too easily and people get more injured from the bag in a minor wreck than the wreck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I've never heard of that happening on an FJ. Was it under normal circumstances or did a slip-up occur where the stalk was hit with some kind of considerable force?

That would be awful, and I hate it happened to you. Hope the install of the new one goes smooth and easy.

Nope just disengaging the cruise. Of course I do have 190,000 miles on it and I use the cruise control several times a day. Also I am probably a little rough on the paddle. I slap it like I'm shifting a Nissan GT-R at Nuremberg.

Thanks for the links and I'll post how project cruise control stick goes.

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Yea they're dangerous. I am trying to decide if having one on the wheel is worth it at all. I'm okay with side curtains and all that but it seems like the wheel one deploys too easily and people get more injured from the bag in a minor wreck than the wreck.
They are dangerous when not moving and setting in front of it when working on something

I believe them to save lives in a front end crash

·
Registered
622 Posts
Since you can't turn it on while you have another car coming at you on the interstate at 70 miles an hour with only seconds to react, best to leave it hooked up and in place.

Reactions: Smoke1

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I have only seen two steering wheel airbags deploy. One was a mid speed three sided flop that set all of the airbags off and a 50 mph dead center into a pecan tree. All were unharmed. Good luck with the toggle swap :cheers:

Reactions: Karlfly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you can't turn it on while you have another car coming at you on the interstate at 70 miles an hour with only seconds to react, best to leave it hooked up and in place.
Really you're THAT slow?

Point taken, it will probably stay hooked up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THANKS A LOT for the help guys. That was REALLY easy. Disconnected the negative, took the blank covers off, loosened the torque screws, set the air bomb on top of the wheel and took the two Phillips screws off, unplugged the broken paddle switch and put the new one in. It took about 15 minutes and if I'd known what I was doing it would have taken 5. EASY stuff.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That makes me damn happy to hear. I am glad it wasn't a huge headache to replace. :cheers:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just replaced my 2008 as well. No trauma, just broke during normal driving. I might have used mine a bit obsessively over the last 6 years. Wonder how much? I only have 58,000 miles. I didn't realize how much I used the cruise until it was broken.

BTW, if this ever happens to you, get a salvaged piece off Ebay. Mine was $45 and looks brand new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts