Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 FJ and the cruise control drives me nuts. Seems like every slight incline causes it to downshift. Now I will say that the cruise was set on about 75 mph. But seems like even at 65 to 70 I can recall this same issue popping up. I got so frustrated that i just turned it off.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Same deal with me. I know the 1" taller tires increase the likeliness of a downshift but, since it is a 5 speed auto, at least it usually doesn't kick down hard like most 4 speeds would. When on roads with much incline I'm starting to switch it off and do a little "hyper-miling".

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I have the same cruise control issues as you all do. There is always the concept of "drafting", though.

Or settle in between a couple of big-rigs in the "rocking chair" and let them do all the work. However don't end up like the guy below. That's a bad thing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think this is something that Toyota could correct?

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
It drives me crazy. Cruise control is never used unless I am on flat highways. Rolling hills makes me wanna shove a pencil through my eye.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It drives me crazy too. The one good thing I can say about Ford is their CC is the best I've ever used. Ford 1. Toyota 1000000......

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Someone finally said it! It's driven me nuts for a long time too and as best as I can recall, no one else as posted this. I doubt there's any programming Toyota can do to correct it, I think it's just an anomaly with the "intuitive 5-sp auto". I've actually tought myself to ingore it for the most part through loud music and deep meditation.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Humm, My FJ 6 MT does pretty good in 6th gear at 75 mph with the CC on. IT doesn't even try to shift down :rofl:, but of course I am in Central Illinois.:lol:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Humm, My FJ 6 MT does pretty good in 6th gear at 75 mph with the CC on. IT doesn't even try to shift down :rofl:, but of course I am in Central Illinois.:lol:
That would be a problem in itself if your manual tried to down shift on it's own.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
That would be a problem in itself if your manual tried to down shift on it's own.
:rofl: :rofl:

I bet if everyone would just run their AT in forth, the downshifting would no longer be much of an issue. Toyota just stacked one too many gears on there in a effort to give us a stab at decent highway mileage.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Alot of the problem is the overdrive. That's the ticket; 4th should keep the OD from engaging.. It's still an automatic &^%$# (mine too), but it should help. Ron

I bet if everyone would just run their AT in forth, the downshifting would no longer be much of an issue. Toyota just stacked one too many gears on there in a effort to give us a stab at decent highway mileage.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
i know what you mean with 265s on it it was ok, now with 285s mine does the same thing here in the mountains it is even worse so usually i just use my foot and then it does not do that.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
I won't use the CC.

If I remember correctly, on our trip to Moab/Ouray last year, TNSquire tried one tank with cc and one w/o. Gas mileage was dramatically worse with the cc tank.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I won't use the CC.

If I remember correctly, on our trip to Moab/Ouray last year, TNSquire tried one tank with cc and one w/o. Gas mileage was dramatically worse with the cc tank.
Yeah, I didn't even get 200 miles out of that tank of gas. :mecry:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
fyi this past weekend i used my cruise after getting out of the mountains and then again same duty got 295 miles out of a tank of 93 octane varying the cruise. with a 3inch lift and 285s..:bandit:

·
Premium Member
142 Posts

The idea of keeping the car in 4 th gear is a worth considering. I have an Infinity M45 and after much debate on a forum like this we concluded that keeping it in 4 th gear not only produced better gas mileage in city and hills driving but the life of the transmission will be longer. Only use Overdrive on flat highway 65mph+. Just something to consider and measure. Mine is MT, so I cannot help with real data, but one of you could do the exercise for a week or so.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Now, just because everyone likes to talk about putting a diesel in the FJ . . .

With 5th being pretty steep for the gasser, if you consider the added low-rpm torque of a diesel, the combination would probably be beneficial in yielding some sweet mpg numbers . . . especially in the "sweet spot" below say 60-65 mph where you really start to fight the poor aerodynamics.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't think the transmission is downshifting - I think the torque converter is unlocking to utilize a "torque multiplier". I think the computer is programmed to make the engine stay at the selected speed or get to it as quickly as possible by any means necessary (unlock torque converter, downshift, upshift, lock torque converter). That is my problem with CC on a road with any inclines. The only time I use CC is on a flat road or with a very small incline.

My previous truck, Chevy Colorado (I5/4AT) would downshift to 2nd on some roads. Talk about a whining engine!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I don't think the transmission is downshifting - I think the torque converter is unlocking to utilize a "torque multiplier". I think the computer is programmed to make the engine stay at the selected speed or get to it as quickly as possible by any means necessary (unlock torque converter, downshift, upshift, lock torque converter). !
WOW "Unlocking to utilize a torque multiplier" WOW, I think I have been away from Auto transmissions too long. Never heard of such a clever device.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts