Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota, your cruise control stinks....bad. I just drove 1200 miles from Kansas to Norfolk, VA in two days and for the record its bad. There were too many times to count when i sped up, climbing a hill or on a small grade, more than 7 miles an hour over the speed set. That is way to much of a variance. Please look at it.

I know I have seen something about this on other threads but this is really bad, worse than I thought.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Toyota, your cruise control stinks....bad.
I agree! With lots of up and down on the hills here in the Ozarks I'm frequently having to adjust my speed because of cruise control creep...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I Have found out that if you are running 265 size tires it works fine for the most part. upsize to 285 and get into steep hills it does tend to kick up and down a lot. remedy imo is just not use it until you are on a flat open area, and traffice is thin enough to do so..

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't see how it is bad, with the amount of constant RPM/gear changing, its quick to adjust itself to your set speed. Its actually "too" precise. I found that if I go past 68-70MPH, the cruise control starts to get picky. Perhaps you should ask toyota to have an engine that produces more low end torque so it doesn't lose its speed as easy.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Downshifting and upshifting is not the problem here. The problem is "speed creep".

I'm running BFG 265/75/17D TA/ko's. I don't know how tire size would affect "speed creep"??????

The comment on changing engines may be a bit off topic... :rocket: Or a bit sarcastic????? :disgust:

cheers, :cheers:

dale

G

·
I'm running a 6MT and feel the CC is actually fine. The speedo goes up no more than 5mph when cresting steeper hills. That's about as good as can be expected. Thankfully, it can maintain cruise control in 5th or 4th gear which is especially useful in higher altitude ascents.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Downshifting and upshifting is not the problem here. The problem is "speed creep".

I'm running BFG 265/75/17D TA/ko's. I don't know how tire size would affect "speed creep"??????

The comment on changing engines may be a bit off topic... :rocket: Or a bit sarcastic????? :disgust:

cheers, :cheers:

dale

A different tire size than stock can defentaly affect the cruise control.

Never had this happen in the FJ, but i have had this happen to another vehicle i owned. The tranny didn't like the cruise being set at a certain speed cause it was trying to decide if it wanted to be in the top of 4th, or the bottom of 5th gear. It would "creep" a few MPH to find a more comfortable spot so it won't constantly be having to shift. If it does do it, it should find a more comfortable speed (only a couple of MPH), then stay there. Your going to have a variation of speed when you are going up, or down hills. There's just no getting past that. If its constantly changing speeds on flat land and there's no oncoming wind, or hills, then there's somthing wrong with your cruise control.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
A different tire size than stock can defentaly affect the cruise control.

Never had this happen in the FJ, but i have had this happen to another vehicle i owned. The tranny didn't like the cruise being set at a certain speed cause it was trying to decide if it wanted to be in the top of 4th, or the bottom of 5th gear. It would "creep" a few MPH to find a more comfortable spot so it won't constantly be having to shift. If it does do it, it should find a more comfortable speed (only a couple of MPH), then stay there. Your going to have a variation of speed when you are going up, or down hills. There's just no getting past that. If its constantly changing speeds on flat land and there's no oncoming wind, or hills, then there's somthing wrong with your cruise control.
I had no issues with stock tires, once I went with 35's that all changed in hills it's a constant shift up and down. I have found if I put it in four out of overdrive I can keep it from the constant shift but on level ground all works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts