Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in past AT cars I've driven, whenever I am cruising to a stop (ie, no gas, sometimes even the break on) the tranny goes into neautral until it gets gas again (or it free-spins, i'm not actually sure WHAT's going on under there).

However, the FJ seems not to do this, it keeps it in gear basiscally using engine power to slow the car down.

Is this normal? Were my other cars abnormal? I would think this could affect MPG in heavy stop/go traffic ... plus it feels really wierd to me since I've never had a car that does this.

--c

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's funny you should mention this.... I know exactly what you're talking about.

Instead of coasting- it's like you downshifted. I'm not used to it, either.

The other issue I'm having is that the brakes get "grabby" right at the very end of of a stop, and it's been difficult at times to feather to a nice smooth stop. I don't know if I'm just not used to 4-wheel disc brakes yet, or if I'm trying to stop in too short a distance and am triggering some sort of "brake assist" function.

I've only racked up 1000 miles so far- so I'm still in the "getting to know you" stage on the FJ.

-Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, my 4Runner does not do this. We could ask a dealer but they don't seeem to know anything. I wonder how we could get a "real" toyota rep to listen. I would also like to ask about the MPG issue. I am getting a consistant 16mpg which I think sucks...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is new to me also. I'm in the habit of getting distracted at lights with stereo, phone, etc. I'm trying to break that habit because the FJ will surge forward if I don't keep my foot firmly on the brake, and I don't want to rear end anybody because I wasn't paying attention...

·
Registered
215 Posts
it has an engine brake which i like there are threads about it around here somewhere ive seen too lazy to search it right now :rolleyes:

the lurching at a stop caught me offgaurd the first time too. i think its just the tranny droping into first gear after a stop i dont notice it anymore you get used to it

·
Registered
277 Posts
An AT has a torque converter which is designed to slip so you don't stall at red lights etc. The torque converter can be designed to provide more or less engine braking. With the offroad character of the FJ, more engine braking is good.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
This is a "normal" charactertistice on the FJ.

The vehicle has a "grade logic" control system that downshifts when decelerating. After you apply the brakes during a descent or coming to a stop, it will downshift the tranny for you to help slow you with engine braking.

As for the surging, I only notice it happening when the A/C compressor switches on while stopped.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
RoverGGM said:

The vehicle has a "grade logic" control system that downshifts when decelerating. After you apply the brakes during a descent or coming to a stop, it will downshift the tranny for you to help slow you with engine braking.

As for the surging, I only notice it happening when the A/C compressor switches on while stopped.
Thanks Rover, is there a way to turn this off for regular day to day driving??

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
RoverGGM said:

Also by downshifting for you already during decel.......if you decide to get on the gas again (say the light you were slowing down for, turns green) you are already in the proper gear to accel again too...you don't have to wait for your auto tranny to recognize what you want to do.

I love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts