Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been PMing back and forth with Muddygrrl about trail times. I did some searching and came across an updated list of trails and conditions. It looks like the powers that be are doing the best they can but IMHO provisional plans for certain trails will need to be considered.

Here is the website to link to your favorites to check for regular updates:
Ouray Colorado :: Jeep Road Conditions

Here are the current conditions copied from the site:
After record snowfall this year (21+ feet of snow!), our county plow crews are extra busy this spring!

Current Jeep Road Conditions:
California Pass - Clear only around to Animas Forks. California to Hurricane still CLOSED but being cleared next week.

Corkscrew Pass - MUDDY and not passable on the Ouray County side. Repairs and clearing scheduled in a few weeks. OPEN from Gladstone from the Silverton side to summit.

Gladstone - OPEN

Hurricane Pass - Scheduled to be cleared next week

Imogene Pass - Ouray County is currently clearing. They expect to be at Lookout by the end of the week. Depending on snow pack below summit, Imogene may be clear by the end JUNE. Kudos to our Ouray County crew!

Owl Creek Pass - OPEN, but very muddy at top with snow drifts.

Picayune Trail - OPEN up to California.

Yankee Boy Basin - OPEN! Watch out for falling rocks and water run off as temperatures rise. Don't miss this trail as the falls are running through lots of snow.

Engineer Pass - OPEN!. ROCKY and ROUGHER than usual if you can believe that! High Clearance, short wheel base vehicles recommended.

Cinnamon Pass - OPEN to Lake City! Warm temperatures are causing severe run-off on the trail. Single lane traffic is necessary on much of the trail. BE CAUTIOUS! Expert off-road drivers and high clearance vehicles only!

Last Dollar Road - OPEN and beautful...although a little dusty!

Ophir Pass - OPEN, Proceed with CAUTION on the Ophir side.

Red Mountain Town Loop - OPEN and MUDDY!

Silverton to Animas Forks - OPEN! Lots of spring slide activity, so the road is has debris in some areas, but FUN!

Cunningham Gulch - OPEN to Highland Mary Mine

Black Bear Pass - CLOSED

Governor's Basin - CLOSED

Maggie' and Minnie Gulch - OPEN below 10,000 feet

Placer Gulch - CLOSED

Poughkeepsie Gulch - CLOSED

Stoney Gulch - OPEN! Be aware that Pole Creek is running very high. ATV's NOT recommended. High clearance vehicles use caution!

South Mineral Springs - OPEN to campground.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I wish that the site owners would publish update Dates & Times.

There's no telling if the information shown is up-to-date, or weeks old... Nothing's changed since I viewed the information last week.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wish that the site owners would publish update Dates & Times.

There's no telling if the information shown is up-to-date, or weeks old... Nothing's changed since I viewed the information last week.
x2 :(

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
well it looks like only one of our trails is closed at the time this "update" was written. Black Bear needs to open... I really want to do that trail!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
well it looks like only one of our trails is closed at the time this "update" was written. Black Bear needs to open... I really want to do that trail!
Black Bear is tough to plow. Last year it only opened a couple of days before the summit. The people who went up noted that they could only see half the imprint of the snow plows. Half because the plows are wider than the trail and the rest of the track hangs off the side as they plow.

-Edmond

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
well we did get pounded up here this winter... I'm willing to do another trail if that's what it comes down to.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Black Bear is tough to plow. Last year it only opened a couple of days before the summit. The people who went up noted that they could only see half the imprint of the snow plows. Half because the plows are wider than the trail and the rest of the track hangs off the side as they plow.

-Edmond
Pucker factor high:rocker:

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts

-Edmond

couldn't pay me 100-Millions-Dollars to do that job...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They were just about to call you Jason. They want you to reconsider. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
lol I swear - I think that's a true statement. I really wouldn't do it for 100 million. No exaggeration.......that's how terrified I would be :)

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
lol I swear - I think that's a true statement. I really wouldn't do it for 100 million. No exaggeration.......that's how terrified I would be :)
Oh Jason ! Just slap on a pair of Depends and get to plowin'. Once you start you'd probably never want to quit. Kinda like being an ice road trucker but even better ! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
That looks like fun to me ! :)

Beats the heck out of woodworking for a living :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some other reports...

A blurb from The Hub in Ouray newspaper... 6/20.

Husband Pat says Dave Leonardi is working on the Imogene Pass road from this side and there is hope it will be open by the Fourth or before. So the only question mark is Black Bear. Oh, and this side of Corkscrew is still not passable, although you can get to the summit from the Silverton side. The Alpine Loop is doable, but going up Engineer from this side is rougher than ever, according to reports. Although off to a late start, the season may be a good one after all.
From The Watch in Telluride,
Colorado DOT is working on Highway 550 Million Dollar Highway

The Colorado Department of Transportation is hard at work from the New Mexico state line north (mile markers 0.78-2.97) through the month of June, 7 a.m.-5p.m., Monday through Friday. Over Coal Bank Pass (mile markers 58.2) drivers can expect full stops with alternating one-lane traffic through June, and possible wait times of 30 minutes. Over Red Mountain Pass (mile markers 70-89) there will be one lane, alternating traffic for paving operations through August. Expect 20-minute delays between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Between Ridgway and Colona (mile markers 106-114), a chip-seal project is underway through July. Drivers can expect one-lane, alternating traffic and up to 30-minute delays from 8:30 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday through Friday.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
So you're saying: Situation - Normal?

·
Registered
18 Posts
AFU? Yeah.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts