Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to crank the hell out of my new ICON front suspension as it settled big time overnight. I had them put a heavier coil on and change to a heavier oil and set it for 3 inches of lift. By morning they had fallen a full 2.5 inches.

I borrowed TiTank's custom tool to adjust them. It made things infinitely easier. He ordered the basic wrench from Wheeler's Offroad. You'd have to be pretty strong to adjust them with such a short lever arm.

Then he ground the tool down a bit so it was a better fit on the shock:

Also ground down the handle so he could fit it into the extension he made.

Simple mod that works perfectly. It makes turning the collar on even a heavily compressed spring VERY easy. Nice work Don! :bigthumb: Thanks for hooking me up..... again. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
cheater bars will win the battle over leverage every time! curious as to why it sank so much overnight? that just doesnt sound right to me?

·
Registered
217 Posts
He has the long travel icon's I have the standard issue version mine settled after two weeks about 3/4", And after adjusting it once I knew it was time to fab a tool to speed up the process.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool!!! :rocker:I wish I thought of that when adjusting my DRs!:mecry:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Dude something just doesn't sound right about that much settling. 2-1/2" is an aweful lot. You sure there's oil in them?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Something i have found with cheater bars over time is that the tool was not meant to be used with a cheater bar. Using cheater bars i have broken sockets and even bent 1.5ft long pipe wrenches.

But that little tool doesn't look like it is too expensive, so if it breaks you shouldn't be out too much. Good Idea.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it was more like two inches that it settled, but it was a lot. I guess I just have a lot of weight, and there really wasn't much thread above the collar. After cranking them down I have about three inches of thread above the collar, and it is holding fine. There is definitely oil in the shocks, as I had them use a heavier weight oil than they normally use. Now that everything is set how it want it, it is riding beautifully. I've never felt the difference a really high quality suspension can make. It is like night and day. Especially teamed up with those Jounce shocks.... which I did remove and threadlock into place. Thanks for the tips guys.

Yeah, that tool isn't too much, so if it breaks... no big thing. They were having problems with the ones they were using breaking anyhow. This worked perfectly. Just use common sense. If you feel a ton of pressure.... go easy. It took Don like an hour to move that collar an inch without the bar. I did both 2-2.5 in in a matter of minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.