Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found anything in the search but was just curious if anyone has thought about pulling the back door interior panel off and creating a custom panel for their amps and maybe a sub or two? I have 2 reasons for this: 1. to keep from taking up too much cargo space as I actually use it for household work and 2. I think it would look nice to get my mid and sub amp in there with a shallow mount 10 or 12 inch sub. Fiberglass and mdf seem like they would get pretty heavy but I think the door hinge could handle the extra weight. Just looking for any inputs or to see if someone has seen this done on the FJ before.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apparently am educationally crippled as I used the google search and found several threads on this. It sounds like everyone that has thought about it has not done it. I was thinking about using quarter inch mdf as a new base and attaching it with rivets that I can screw into. That is where I would build the fiberglass structure from, maybe 6 inches deep? I'm guessing at this point as I wouldn't know until I got the second amp and sub laid down to draw it out. I apparently think I am good at this now since installing the components in the back seat I have an urge to do more.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have not found anything in the search but was just curious if anyone has thought about pulling the back door interior panel off and creating a custom panel for their amps and maybe a sub or two? I have 2 reasons for this: 1. to keep from taking up too much cargo space as I actually use it for household work and 2. I think it would look nice to get my mid and sub amp in there with a shallow mount 10 or 12 inch sub. Fiberglass and mdf seem like they would get pretty heavy but I think the door hinge could handle the extra weight. Just looking for any inputs or to see if someone has seen this done on the FJ before.
I keep eyeballing this location as a possible sub install location because I am absolutely unwilling to sacrifice a single square inch of interior space back there. I haven't pulled the panel off (yet) to see what's in there, but I have a feeling I will soon. Please post how things go for you as far as squeezing a sub, even a single small one, in there.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definitely post any pictures even if I just pull the cover off. I am not so much worried about the depth space or what is in the door more than I am in how thin I could make another fiberglass panel to put on the door. I know there are some thin mount subs out there but I think it was still at least 4" of depth required. The nice thing will be if the plastic panel that comes off is 2/3" deep already then there will be no worries. I just want a little more to my setup and a sub will do the trick. Adding another amp is the worry as I already mounted the first one on the drivers side cargo area and I am not even sure how I feel about that location.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw a FJ in Miami that had a pair of 6x9's mounted on a nicely shaped panel on the hatch. I was surprised it was deep enough. They sounded decent, too.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
How about one of the SpringTail Molle Racks? See if it can ordered without the bags ( maybe they have a scratch and dent bin ) that will serve as a mounting platform. Think of it as the skeleton of the project. I wish I knew exactly what I was talking about, I should of sat closer to the blackboard.

Stereo talk is like trying to understand Chinese with a few letters missing for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Haven't seen it done but I'm sure I could do it....

I'd start by glassing the entire rear door panel with some MDF laid on it in the shapes I wanted...then go from there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Golf you seem to be thinking what I was thinking. I am just waiting for it to get warm out to pull off the panel and look into it. I am considering moving my original amp from the driver side cargo wall back there as well. That would be 2 amps and at least a sub all on the door so planning the layout is key. How would you mount the MDF? I was thinking of riveting some threads and using bolts, prolly 8 to be safe. Mounting to the plastic just doesn't seem like a good option as it could rattle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts