Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the owner of this FJ in the group ? I am wanting to buy\build a MTB bike rack that is mounted like this on the spare and would like to get more information on how it was done

Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
** EDIT** I see that you already posted this inquiry on Instagram where the post came from @mtbdropin. I'd keep following up with that handle or else troll the local TX FJ Cruiser forum or FB site for the owner.

I'd caution that much more weight on the rear door if you are running a larger than stock spare. I'd personally tie into the left door hinge with a bracket from refinedcycle.com... the same bracket used in their JM1 gas can mount

I'd say run this bracket to alleviate a good 50% or more of the weight distribution then tie into the top (2) spare carrier bolts with some angle iron to create a flat mount for the rack? Just spit-balling.

Here's some pics of what the refinedcycle bracket system looks like on my FJ

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Is the owner of this FJ in the group ? I am wanting to buy\build a MTB bike rack that is mounted like this on the spare and would like to get more information on how it was done View attachment 1126591

Thanks
In addition to the weight and vibration concerns, I would be worried about how much that tire sticks out beyond the body. Also wonder how close the pedal is to the rear window.

Reactions: darkhorse13

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
** EDIT** I see that you already posted this inquiry on Instagram where the post came from @mtbdropin. I'd keep following up with that handle or else troll the local TX FJ Cruiser forum or FB site for the owner.

I'd caution that much more weight on the rear door if you are running a larger than stock spare. I'd personally tie into the left door hinge with a bracket from refinedcycle.com... the same bracket used in their JM1 gas can mount

I'd say run this bracket to alleviate a good 50% or more of the weight distribution then tie into the top (2) spare carrier bolts with some angle iron to create a flat mount for the rack? Just spit-balling.

Here's some pics of what the refinedcycle bracket system looks like on my FJ
View attachment 1126753

View attachment 1126754

This is a great Idea thank you for posting with Pics I may see about trying to mock something up with this mount

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In addition to the weight and vibration concerns, I would be worried about how much that tire sticks out beyond the body. Also wonder how close the pedal is to the rear window.
Yea I was thinking about that and would like to center the bike more if possible. I could always remove the pedal on that side and I think my bike is right around 27lbs. I just hate my hitch mount because I can't open up the back door

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yea I was thinking about that and would like to center the bike more if possible. I could always remove the pedal on that side and I think my bike is right around 27lbs. I just hate my hitch mount because I can't open up the back door
Just get a rakattch hitch swingaway. can be used for more than MTB carriers too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts