Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a CAI but have allready installed a yellow top battery at the back of the passanger side engine bay that most intakes terminate. I was pondering making a custom - tell me why its stupid please

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I would like to install a CAI but have allready installed a yellow top battery at the back of the passanger side engine bay that most intakes terminate. I was pondering making a custom - tell me why its stupid please
Well, it's not a good idea because:

1) it's not legal in most states to modify the stock intake without a tested, exemption order from a licensed testing facility (about $25,000 + to have done in CA)

2) You do not have the dyno or flow bench equipment necessary to make sure your design works better than your stock intake.

3) You may have warranty issues with a non-legal intake if a problem does arise.

4) The Dirty Parts dual battery kit for the FJC mounts the auxiliary Optima battery in the same location, and works fine with the TRD and AFE cold air intakes, which, IMO, are the most efficient on the market.

So, its not only a poor idea, IMO, but its unnecessary as well.

Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep that about sums it up, I what I didnt mention is that I have my new fuse box and gear in front of the battery. However, point taken on the rest and thanks for the time to reply

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeah, Larry knows what he is talking about. The stock air box is actually a cold air intake since it pulls air from the fenderwell and not directly from the engine bay. I would suggest trying an aftermarket higher flow filter. Or, just make some adjustments to your current set-up to allow an aftermarket CAI like the TRD.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
All you have to do is find a new place for your fuse box and everything should fit properly with either the TRD or AFE CAI.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Yeah, Larry knows what he is talking about. The stock air box is actually a cold air intake since it pulls air from the fenderwell and not directly from the engine bay. I would suggest trying an aftermarket higher flow filter. Or, just make some adjustments to your current set-up to allow an aftermarket CAI like the TRD.
X2,

The P/N for the AFE Pro-Dry replacement filter is #31-10114.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Which vendor in here is running the AFE Pro Dry filters so I can get a price on a drop in. I have a K&N in now and have always used them but most seem to think that once they have been cleaned and re-oiled is when you get into trouble with the MAF sensor.....So I should look into the Pro Dry by the sounds of it.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Which vendor in here is running the AFE Pro Dry filters so I can get a price on a drop in. I have a K&N in now and have always used them but most seem to think that once they have been cleaned and re-oiled is when you get into trouble with the MAF sensor.....So I should look into the Pro Dry by the sounds of it.
Larry at DirtyParts has them.

DEWFPO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts