Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That's right! You heard me. My biggest issue wheeling over the past two seasons has not been the need for more ground clearance, skid plates, snorkel, gearing, or any of that junk. (note....most of that I have anyway :lol:)

The worst thing about the FJC is the visibility and ability to just lean out and see your tires on the trail. I find my co-pilot constantly stepping out to give me spot or a line instead of just leaning out the window to hook me up. Guys who have done some serious trails know what I'm talking about.

You spend the whole time clenching your butt in the air in order to look out the window to see your tire placement.

So I'm freakin doing it!! I'm cutting the doors baby. I have two other vehicles to drive anyway so if it rains, I'll just cover it. If anyone needs good glass for front passenger or driver windows, I'll have them available on August 8th. I will be posting updated pics from my chop shop each step of the way. Wish me luck. Oh yeah, one more thing....the finished product will have cup holders on the top of the doors. You know it!

Attachments

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Hmmm, Metal Tech and another vendor have tube doors available... Easy on and off...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tube doors are not easy on easy off! I have talked to many vendors of this product. FJ doors weigh over 100lbs each!!! To get those square takes at least 2 people and I bet over 45 minutes.

Plus tube doors will make your fj start to look like a buggy.

I'm tired of the tube look on everything out there. I'll show you the finished product on how this looks and you be the judge if I made the right decision.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Drive it to the dealer and ask if it voids the warranty ,lol. No but seriously it might offer some roof support having zero support might have some negative effect. But if its not a daily driver who cares right?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow!!

I appreciate all the posts and comments. Where do I start?

Factory doors are still about 500. bucks each at the lowest and I don't need the doors I have cause it's not a daily driver anymore for me already.

I know the longer the FJC is out, the more are going to end up at the salvage yard and I can part full doors out later for way less.

As far as the warranty and roof stability...I am also installing a roll cage, phase II.

Eventually I'm gonna chop the whole roof off but that is after the Atlas, and the SAC. Crazy Crazy Crazy FUN!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I'll take the suicide door windows w/frames so I can work on the pop out window mod.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Post those pics if you are serious!!! I want to see that too.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I haven't started, I've been waiting for a donor door/window to use as a test bed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PS if you want Tube Doors check out sbechtold's rig and post. FC Fabrication made him some super sweet ones!!!

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
A new member and local DFW FJ'er, savanhfjcruiser, was looking for driver's door glass.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Tube doors are not easy on easy off! I have talked to many vendors of this product. FJ doors weigh over 100lbs each!!! To get those square takes at least 2 people and I bet over 45 minutes.

Plus tube doors will make your fj start to look like a buggy.

I'm tired of the tube look on everything out there. I'll show you the finished product on how this looks and you be the judge if I made the right decision.
The stock doors weight 74# and I can swap the doors out in about 30 minutes. I did make a stand that sit under the door while removing it. Removing the doors really is not hard or time consuming. However, I applaud you for doing something different. :bigthumb: Beside tube doors are so passe.

You will dig hanging out the side looking at the front wheel and picking your own line.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

"The stock doors weight 74# and I can swap the doors out in about 30 minutes. I did make a stand that sit under the door while removing it. Removing the doors really is not hard or time consuming. However, I applaud you for doing something different. Beside tube doors are so passe."

Sol, (sbechtold) You are da man! It wold take most people 45 minutes :lol:
But seriously, I love your truck! You just keep beating me to the punch on every mod so this time, after talking to you, I thought I'd mix it up. I'm talking to Advanced Adapters right now too. You still digging your Inchworm?

·
Registered
709 Posts
So far, this idea is half baked at best. How about a simple drawing or some idea of what you have in mind. You also have a door handle and latch (up pretty high) to deal with.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 191 Posts