Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm back with more crazy antics this summer. No, I'm not chopping the top off, (yet)..... cutting the doors in half last summer was crazy enough for now.

I'm pulling all my curtain airbags, lamps, and headliner and getting the inside roof portion linexed to deaden the sound and prepare for a custom roll cage. The drawings are sweet. I will start snapping some photos ASAP. You're gonna want to subscribe to this one.

******NEW UPDATE 4/6/09 *********
I just stopped by EXORR today and all I can say is HOLY CRA*!*$#

I knew this project was going to turn out great because Dave was unbelieveable in making my half doors, but I have to say I was blown away with this roll cage.

I will try to post pics tomorrow and will have em up no later than Wednesday for sure. The custom ceiling is AMAZING!! and the Linex was the perfect touch to give it that rugged look inside. The detail on this project is amazing; From the Sweet LED lighting system throughout, to the new ceiling, beutiful bends on the cage, and just amazing imagination and thought put in to the design on this puppy. I feel like I'm getting a project from some reality television show like a 4 wheel version on pimp my ride even though I had to pay for it!! :lol:

You think I'm hyping it up? Just wait till you see the newest pics. You be the judge!! Thanks for all your help Dave! Not only will I feel safe now, but I have hands down the coolest FJC interior on the planet!!!

******NEW UPDATE 4/14/09 *********

Stay tuned because I pick up my truck completely finished tomorrow!! I will be snapping from all angles and will have all the details up and loaded tomorrow night!! It looks so sic I can't even begin to explain how much detail went in to this project. Lot's of close ups coming.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If there was a way to do this and still retain airbags, i'd be all over it. But, unfortunately, it seems to be one or the other.

Anxious to see what you come up with. I believe sol's has a build thread for his on ih8mud or somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Curious to see where this one goes. Removing airbags to replace with a cage... Ya know, there are lots more injuries from heads smacking the B-pillar than the roof collapsing on the head... just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I would think if you hold the bar that runs along the inside of the driver's window in far enough you could retain the air bags. They are just above the window and when activated push the edge of the headliner aside and shoot down.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The problem is the B pillar of the cage. In order to fit the B pillar between the seat and the door, you need to hug the door. By hugging the door with the B pillar you don't leave enough room for the bag to deploy without interfering with the B pillar. If you move the B pillar inboard it then gets close to your head. The side curtain air bags are one long bag that runs from A to C pillar and IMO would not deploy properly with a cage installed. The other issue is the headliner. That thing takes up SO MUCH room it's ridiculous. By removing the headliner you gain ~4"-5" of additional room above your melon. You can push the halo all the way up against the roof sheet metal and have plenty of room for your head and roll bar padding. By pushing the halo up it gives you a lot more clearance around your head which is a plus.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just read the half door post. I can't believe I missed that one. I will be checking this one often. :bigthumb: Freakin' great job!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is the B pillar of the cage. In order to fit the B pillar between the seat and the door, you need to hug the door. By hugging the door with the B pillar you don't leave enough room for the bag to deploy without interfering with the B pillar. If you move the B pillar inboard it then gets close to your head. The side curtain air bags are one long bag that runs from A to C pillar and IMO would not deploy properly with a cage installed. The other issue is the headliner. That thing takes up SO MUCH room it's ridiculous. By removing the headliner you gain ~4"-5" of additional room above your melon. You can push the halo all the way up against the roof sheet metal and have plenty of room for your head and roll bar padding. By pushing the halo up it gives you a lot more clearance around your head which is a plus.
Sol is the man, He is exactly right about all of this! I don't daily drive my FJC anymore! ( I know its a luxury for me and I'm blessed) I'm more worried about flopping at 2mph than getting tboned in an intersection. Both my half doors and Roll Cage ideas were sprung from Sol's tube doors and roll cage. He is the Man!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Thankyou for the information. Ther is a roll cage inmy future and it will come in handy. I'll be looking hard at your roll cage installation. Thanks again:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou for the information. Ther is a roll cage inmy future and it will come in handy. I'll be looking hard at your roll cage installation. Thanks again:)
Where do you live? Sol, who posted that quote already has a great cage that FC Fabrication in Stockton Cali did for him. Mine is going to be SWEET too but it is in the works!! You can see his cage on his tube door thread!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
You're welcome! Let me know if you have any questions or need additional pictures once you get closer to building a cage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I stopped in EXORR today and guess what I saw? Your doors are indeed very cool and I am looking forward to seeing the completed cage!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here are some very early pictures from the project. When we got under the headliner, we noticed a very uneven surface so we are making a new roof out of a very thin piece of sheet metal and placing some high density foam in between the roof and sheet metal to deaden some sound.

We are then going to linex the new sheet metal roof for a more even and tougher look.

Project should be done by the April 18th. I'm loving the bend that is going through the dash as it saves a ton of floor/feet space. I can now finally mount my cb on the roof to the cage and going to put all new lights on the roof and run the wiring under the new roof.

Once again, another super clean job by Dave at EXORR.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
This looks like a really cool project.

Subscribed. ;)

What tube type and size are you using? Are you through-mounting to the frame or are you going off the body? What guage sheet steel are you using in the headliner? Are you going to internally triangulate your cage?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This looks like a really cool project.

Subscribed. ;)

What tube type and size are you using? Are you through-mounting to the frame or are you going off the body? What guage sheet steel are you using in the headliner? Are you going to internally triangulate your cage?
Definitely mounting to the frame!!

Will write more tomorrow to address your other questions.

I am beat and my head is foggy after a 5 hour flight.

·
Registered
635 Posts
you belong in a tree

because you're a NUT!

you are the man though

1 - 20 of 85 Posts