Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's my question. after looking at all the things I'd like to buy and realize I just can't, what about building my own? I'm thinking about building my own skid plates and possibly some rock sliders. I have most of the tools for it (torch,welder and a friend who runs a body shop with the rest). I used to be a toyota mechanic so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Has anyone else made major parts like these and is it a bad idea? I just can't spend the money right now and I like trying things. I don't plan on doing alot of off roading yet untill I really get addicted. Just wanted some thoughts and maybe pics of stuff. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Search homemade mods
There is a thread with a bunch of pics of some creative stuff!
I enjoy the 1-off parts and will be making a new tube bumper and new sliders.
Replacing an intense fab bumper and demello hybrid sliders... I want all my mods to be my one work.
Do your research and read what material to use and get to work. There are some fabrication forums to answer questions. (google search) that's what I do when I need more info.

Again many people make their own parts:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
^^^^ :lol: :lol:

That you even CARE about the quality of your parts is a good thing.

Tons of people have done home fab for FJ Cruisers. TONS.

Some of it is very high quality work.

Some, maybe not so much... but it's a 4x4... how high quality should, for example, a skid plate be?

For fun, just so you can see how many people you're instantly a better fabricator than, check out the hack job thread on Pirate:

Ghetto fab/ hack jobs - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

This is years and years of people's home fab work diligently photodocumented in all it's anti-splendor and failed glory.

Browse that thread and it will set you free... you will instantly feel better about yourself and your capabilities! :D

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
As long as you have the tools and the skill and the materials, you can build just about anything that is currently available for the FJ for less money. Though, when you factor in your time spent and applied a dollar value to that for normal shop labor, it'd probably cost a lot more. But time is free!

And Jon, that thread wasted like 6 hours of my life last time i opened it :lol:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Just take your time and think things through before you start.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^ :lol: :lol:

That you even CARE about the quality of your parts is a good thing.

Tons of people have done home fab for FJ Cruisers. TONS.

Some of it is very high quality work.

Some, maybe not so much... but it's a 4x4... how high quality should, for example, a skid plate be?

For fun, just so you can see how many people you're instantly a better fabricator than, check out the hack job thread on Pirate:

Ghetto fab/ hack jobs - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

This is years and years of people's home fab work diligently photodocumented in all it's anti-splendor and failed glory.

Browse that thread and it will set you free... you will instantly feel better about yourself and your capabilities! :D

:cheers:
ok well my thought of welding and old english wheels and bend presses can be thrown right out the window. After an hour of looking through some of those builds I guess I can use some of my left over rain gutters,electrical tape and JB weld. I'm heading to the garage now to start it. Thanks those were pretty awesome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts