Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm looking at making a rack for some storage in the back across from the sub. I LOVE the mpac side rack I just don't have 175 bucks to drop on it right now. I'm wondering if anyone had some home made solutions. Right now I just have a backpack bungee corded back there.
Thanks! Ryan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Since I haven't heard from anyone I got bored and drew up a couple ideas. Let me know what you think. The dimensions would be about 13" by 20". We have lots of scrap steel and aluminum so it wouldn't cost me anything but some hardware.

This is obviously my cheapo version of the MPAC.

I'm planning on using quick fists for my fire extinguisher, mag light, and a Nalgene Water Bottle for the dogs. I would also have a small back pack mounted to it as well.

I'm curious as to which you think would be more functional. I'm thinking the one with just the circular holes might be fine; I could mount the quick fists where ever I need them and just bungee the back pack.

The last option would be to drill holes like the second picture but only where I need them.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
190 Posts
You cal also achieve the same thing as the last link, with a piece of aluminum stock, all you need is a longer screw from homedepot and drill as many holes as needed, that what I did and have a molle and my superflow compressor in the nylon bag hanging from there. photos later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! I thought about doing something like that. I just didn't know if the extra space on the "plates" shown above would be more useful then just the bar. I'll have to see how much room the stuff I want to mount takes up. I like that idea though.
Ryan

PS, the more I look at the"bar" idea the more I like it. I'm starting to lean towards that for how simple and clean it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You cal also achieve the same thing as the last link, with a piece of aluminum stock, all you need is a longer screw from homedepot and drill as many holes as needed, that what I did and have a molle and my superflow compressor in the nylon bag hanging from there. photos later.
Great, thanks. I look forward to the photos!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I assembled and installed the bar as suggested in the link from post 3 and it works.

nonoFJ,
The aluminum should be easier to work with as far as drilling holes.
Is it more expensive than the metal stock I suggested?
How about strenght and flexing. What thickness would you use?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going with the idea in the 3rd post as well. Very simple and very functional. I may bump it out a little farther from the panel so it can be a little bit longer.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks again, JohnnyNumber5.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I went with the idea that was in the link on the 3rd post. Very easy, and very functional here are some pics. I added a couple eye-bolts to bungee the backpack up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Really nice.