Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this thread for the Texas area first. I have a client that is a fabricator and is designing and fabricating a custom drop in roof rack system. This will work with the factory roof rack, minus the crossbars. I'm getting the first one for myself done to work out any bugs and to do adjustments.

It will incorporate the entire existing factory rack from front to back. The load limit will be 500 lbs and will be designed with a specific grid pattern on the bottom to accept tie down straps and support drainage.

Possible accessories:

1. Lockable boxes that can be removed if need be.
2. Lockable High lift Jack Mounts.
3. Shovel and Axe storage.
4. Lockable Jerry Can Holder.
5. Fairing with light mounts.

These are a few of the options that would be available. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the concept. I've seen a lot of fabricated racks on the forum so I thought what the heck.

This rack is in the design stages and will not be completed for a few months. But once it is done we will be able to build paint and ship the order within a few weeks. Please let me know if you would be interested.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am deffinately going to go this route. This particular solution would save me the trouble of fabricating my own.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would like to see if there was also a way to mount lights to this rack.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
interested in seeing the prototype when you run it for testing....as if it truly uses the installed roof rack rails and cross members are only thing you remove......and it does in fact increase load to 500lbs with more options......then I am definitely interested.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds nice.

I would like to see a super low profile rack, so I can keep parking in my favorite downtown garage. Something flat. Tie-downs hold the load anyway not the side rails.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of your thoughts have been applied. It will have a flat bottom with custom grid pattern to run tie downs through. Yes it will have the ability to mount lights front and back. It will not be any higher than the stock rack is. Plus we have started on designing a mounting system for those of you that do not have a factory roof rack.

Now that I have some general interest in the product. We will hopefully have something for everyone to look at, probably a CAD drawing in the next month. I know everyone wants things in the now, but I want to do this the right way. Not some thrown together jerry rig. My background is in Engineering and Design. So the rack will be efficient yet strong and very capable of handling any load.

Thanks for the feed back guys. We will get things started tomorrow.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Make sure you become a vender before posting pricing or start taking orders.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
All of your thoughts have been applied. It will have a flat bottom with custom grid pattern to run tie downs through. Yes it will have the ability to mount lights front and back. It will not be any higher than the stock rack is. Plus we have started on designing a mounting system for those of you that do not have a factory roof rack.

Now that I have some general interest in the product. We will hopefully have something for everyone to look at, probably a CAD drawing in the next month. I know everyone wants things in the now, but I want to do this the right way. Not some thrown together jerry rig. My background is in Engineering and Design. So the rack will be efficient yet strong and very capable of handling any load.

Thanks for the feed back guys. We will get things started tomorrow.
Almost seems like "a dream come true." Don't be leading us down the path of wishful thinking now! ;)

I, too, am very interested. I just can't seem to find one that does what I want. Your idea is the best description I've seen yet. One thing: Please design the attachments to the stock rack professionally. The last thing I want is a sweet rack attached with duct tape, bungie cords, or radiator hose clamps!

You catch my drift? :)

THANKS FOR THE UPCOMING HARD WORK!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I absolutely hate the stock rack (can't see any use for approximately half of it, the front half). Poor design, IMO.

I'm considering a Gobi Stealth for future replacement. But, cost is the issue there (damn, they're gold-plated, I think).

So, I'm interested in any alternative along the lines of the Stealth; low-profile, with usable space across the roof, not just at the rear of the rack...

·
Registered
387 Posts
please ship to canada :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Plus we have started on designing a mounting system for those of you that do not have a factory roof rack.

Something low like the mini-me but full length would be cool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will be something like that. But more useful with accessories fit to match. I talked to my client today (he owns the Fabrication Company) and everything is a go. Designs will be done in a few weeks. When those are done I will post the pics and everyone can let me know what they think.

I'm doing this because of the lack of effort put forth by Toyota on the original design, (sorry Toyota). Now I am doing this with my wants in mind, but this is also going to be a group effort. Now I can't satisfy everyone, never will, but if I can get it close to what people want, then the better for us.

So, starting Monday the process will begin on the drawings. I'll post pics ASAP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.