Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am sending out this thread to get a little help from you FJ experts. I currently own a 2007 FJ Cruiser (All Black w/ a black roof) i believe its a base model. If i am correct only a selected few were made of this model but not deemed as TRD or Trail Teams edition therefore it has a standard suspension and there is not lift of any kind or modifications to the vehicle. I am currently in the process of investing in some all black rims with an aggressive all terrain tires. I am interested in getting some 18inch rims with at least some 33inch x 10.5 tires. 1. Will the 10.5 width of the tire rub on the wheel well of currently model i have? 2. Are 33 inch tires to big or could i get 35 inch? 3. Does anyone have some suggestions for a place to find a dealer in the California Bay area?

Thanks all,
domtini

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
I run 315/70 R 17s.

To get to a 35 requires at least a 3" lift , Body Mount Chop , and most likely a caster adjustment on your alignment ( I run SPC LR UCAs just to get the cast clear of rubbing ).
To run a 10.5" wide tire you will need some off set rims or wheel spacers to clear the UCA's.

The rough measurement of a 315/70R17 is 35X11.25 if I remember correctly ( mine measure exactly 35" tall but this is based on manufacture. )
My inside tire area is roughly 3/8" from my UCA's with a -18 offset rim. That is mounted on a 9" wide rim as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses,

@rvsivley would i need a lift in order to get 33inch tires on my FJ?
@mikey if its not a base FJ do you think my FJ is a TRD series but just doesn't have the logos/decals?

Thanks,
domtini

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not a base model but still a nice FJ though!

How do you know what model it is. From the pic and his description

Does anyone know how to tell what model you have and what it is equipped with ?

Sorry for the. Jack ....:grin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run 315/70 R 17s.

To get to a 35 requires at least a 3" lift , Body Mount Chop , and most likely a caster adjustment on your alignment ( I run SPC LR UCAs just to get the cast clear of rubbing ).
To run a 10.5" wide tire you will need some off set rims or wheel spacers to clear the UCA's.

The rough measurement of a 315/70R17 is 35X11.25 if I remember correctly ( mine measure exactly 35" tall but this is based on manufacture. )
My inside tire area is roughly 3/8" from my UCA's with a -18 offset rim. That is mounted on a 9" wide rim as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Most common question on this forum, do some research and you will find that in most cases you do not need a lift, but you may need to do a BMC or you might rub your stock UCA depending if you go offroad or not.
Search: 285 no lift

No I would not run 35" and no lift. Major rubbage will occur. Not worth it in my opinion, let alone if you take it offroad.

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
How do you know what model it is. From the pic and his description

Does anyone know how to tell what model you have and what it is equipped with ?

Sorry for the. Jack ....:grin
From the pic.

In 2007 the base model FJ did not have:

Marker lights on the mirrors
Roof Rack
OEM running boards

Back then the base model FJ was as naked as you could get (if you could) for the low price of.........are you ready???

$19,999.00

As for it being a 2007 TRD very unlikely, rims on this FJ are incorrect style and 17". TRD rims were 16"

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Rsivley is not correct about running 10.5" wide tires requiring a spacer. A 265 width tire (oem size) is 265mm wide = 10.81" wide. You can run a 285 width tire with the stock OEM wheels (basically what you have on there now) and not need new wheels or wheel spacers.

If you want to go with a 33" tire, you would run 285/75R16 with 16" wheels or 285/70R17 with 17" wheels. These are close to 33" tall. Manufacturer's specs vary. Here is how to determine tire diameter. For example a 285/70R17 means it is 285mm wide or 11.22". The 70 part of the designation means the sidewall height is 70% of the width or (11.22*70% = 7.85"). So to get diameter, you have two sidewall heights plus the rim width or (7.85" + 7.85" + 17.00" =32.7").

While some people can get away with 285/70R17 without a lift, i would recommend a 1-3" lift. I think you can run a 275/70R17 without a lift.

When it comes to lifts, sky is the limit. Cheapest is spacers, then it moves up from there for new springs, replacement coil over shocks etc. If you are going to do a lift the right way, i would say you are going to have at least $800+ in the lift (if you install it yourself). Do lots of searching here and read up about lifts, tires and wheels before you commit so you dont have to spend more money later redoing it. I can tell you my opinions and choices evolved over several months and varied quite a bit from my initial thinking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your response's i did some research over the weekend and i really don't want to lift my ride if i don't have too. I won't be doing much off roading. Mostly driving to and from the mountains to go camping hiking skiing etc. Would it be possible to fit XD Monsters #1 wheels/rims and a Nitto G2 285/75/18 without having to do anything to the suspension?

Thanks,
domtini

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
285/75/18 is 285 mm x 75%/25.4 mm/in = 8.724" sidewall height x 2 = 17.45" + rim diameter (18.0") or 35.45" total diameter.

Uh no....would absolutely need a lift (and probably a re-gear) to run those. Lots of mods required to run 35" diameter tires. Those are very tall tires - at least in terms of an FJ Cruiser.

Wthout a lift, I would say you can go up one size from stock...or to 275/70/17. Others may jump in and say that you can run 285/70/17 without a lift, but I think you may run into problems with any off-roading and getting to campsites in the mountains like you mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
\ Nitto G2 285/75/18 without having to do anything to the suspension?

Thanks,
domtini
That size tire lists as a 34.84" diameter on Nitto's website, too big to run without rubbing at stock height (or any height). Stay under 33" to avoid rubbing. If you go with an aftermarket wheel that has more spacing out, go more like a 32". Look around here, there are a bunch of examples. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
You want a 285/70/17 on those wheels, or something like a 285/65/18 if you are planning on 18" wheels. Should fit ok depending on wheel backspacing and width. Too much positive offset you will hit the upper control arms...to much negative offset and they will stick out and hit the body mounts when you turn

I think the FJ model is just a standard black diamond with the roof painted to match. It at least has the convenience package with keyless entry, ect since it has the mirror lights. If it has the silver FJammer radio, gauge pod on dash, paint matched interior pieces, or especially the subwoofer it would have the upgrade package and be about as loaded as you can get. Even easier way to tell is if it has the OEM shift knobs and is an automatic...silver tops = upgrade.

It also really looks to at least have a leveling kit on it to raise the front up to rear height, so that is nice. I think it is more modded than you realize :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts