Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install a cutout on my Warn XD 9000 and need to cut and crimp new lugs on the 2 AWG positive lead. Need recommendations on tools to cut and crimp.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Take it to a car stereo shop. They will have the right tool.

·
965 Posts
Crimping large terminals like that I use a hammer and a flat tipped chisel.
This is not a good idea for heavy gauge power wire that you will be putting a heavy load on. Part of the process of pressure crimping is to pressure fuse all the strands of wire together by expelling the air out of the connector thus eliminating air gaps that will cause arcing within the connector, air promotes pitting and corrosion of the wire in the connector as well as allow pockets that water can sit if it's an exposed connector. Which will cause the connector to fail over time
To be a certified connection you need to use the correct die and connector.

I used to install equipment on -48v DC power systems and have been through lots of classes.

Go to a stereo shop and give them a 12 pack to use the proper crimps and dies, or buy the correct tools for the job you can get a manual greenlee crimper for about 75 bucks, that has dies from 8 awg to 0 awg

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
This is not a good idea for heavy gauge power wire that you will be putting a heavy load on. Part of the process of pressure crimping is to pressure fuse all the strands of wire together by expelling the air out of the connector thus eliminating air gaps that will cause arcing within the connector, air promotes pitting and corrosion of the wire in the connector as well as allow pockets that water can sit if it's an exposed connector. Which will cause the connector to fail over time
To be a certified connection you need to use the correct die and connector.

I used to install equipment on -48v DC power systems and have been through lots of classes.

Go to a stereo shop and give them a 12 pack to use the proper crimps and dies, or buy the correct tools for the job you can get a manual greenlee crimper for about 75 bucks, that has dies from 8 awg to 0 awg
Let me clarify, I use the hammer and chisel to partially crimp the terminal so the wire will not fall out when I am soldering it. I do not just crimp any terminal regardless of size. All my connections are soldered.

If you don't have that option you can also take the cable to someplace like Car Toys (or any stereo shop as opg mentioned) or Pacific Power Batteries and they can do it for you with a power sewage. Most people don't have or know how to use those tools but if you have the resources, more power to you.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Crimping is a bad idea and typically fails over time.

First get your 2ga. at a welding supply. You can cut it with a hack saw if your careful and have a good blade. The outside jacket or insulator can be easily cut and stripped with a razor blade knife.

Get the connecting ends/lugs that have a cup to fit the cable into. Put the lugs (one at a time) in a vice and heat them up with a blow torch and melt the solder into them about 1/2 of the depth of the lug. Once up to temp the solder will pool and then you can slowly dip the stripped ends of the cable into the connector. Hold the cable into the lug until the solder solidifies (about 45-60 seconds).

DEKA® CABLE LUG - JCWhitney Auto Parts

Also available at most Auto parts stores.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Crimping is a bad idea and typically fails over time.

First get your 2ga. at a welding supply. You can cut it with a hack saw if your careful and have a good blade. The outside jacket or insulator can be easily cut and stripped with a razor blade knife.

Get the connecting ends/lugs that have a cup to fit the cable into. Put the lugs (one at a time) in a vice and heat them up with a blow torch and melt the solder into them about 1/2 of the depth of the lug. Once up to temp the solder will pool and then you can slowly dip the stripped ends of the cable into the connector. Hold the cable into the lug until the solder solidifies (about 45-60 seconds).

DEKA® CABLE LUG - JCWhitney Auto Parts

Also available at most Auto parts stores.
i use blue-point cable cutters. i think they are like 30 or 40 bucks. great tools. for stripping i use the same tool to cut through the insulation. for crimping you can go to a stereo shop. they will have either a big set of ratcheting crimpers or a die and hammer style. i always crimp those style connectors then it solder the wire to the connector with a torch and heat shrink the ends. it makes for a really clean and solid setup.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
i use blue-point cable cutters. i think they are like 30 or 40 bucks. great tools. for stripping i use the same tool to cut through the insulation. for crimping you can go to a stereo shop. they will have either a big set of ratcheting crimpers or a die and hammer style. i always crimp those style connectors then it solder the wire to the connector with a torch and heat shrink the ends. it makes for a really clean and solid setup.
I build emergency vehicles for a living and thats the exact way we do it at our shop. Although when it comes to crimpers, i prefer crimpers with the little nipple on the end. I've had much better success with that style vs. the racheting crimpers.
Use the cable lug that web shot posted, crimp it with a die and hammer (Made specificly for crimping large gauge wires), and then solder the wire to the lug and heat shrink it. Never had a failure yet.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I build emergency vehicles for a living and thats the exact way we do it at our shop. Although when it comes to crimpers, i prefer crimpers with the little nipple on the end. I've had much better success with that style vs. the racheting crimpers.
Use the cable lug that web shot posted, crimp it with a die and hammer (Made specificly for crimping large gauge wires), and then solder the wire to the lug and heat shrink it. Never had a failure yet.
as you know i built emergency cars for a while too. secret service, undercover IRS, some specialty police vehicles more along the custom lines. we had to do a lt of vehicles that didnt have any accessories made for them yet.

anywho, i do prefer the style of crimpers that you speak of, although, they make a large crimper that is like that with a notch in them. they look like cable crimpers or bolt cutters. city of phoenix wouldnt let us use even small crimpers with a nipple or notch on them because some yahoos would pierce through the insulation and they would have lots of shorts and what not.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I am getting ready to install a cutout on my Warn XD 9000 and need to cut and crimp new lugs on the 2 AWG positive lead. Need recommendations on tools to cut and crimp.
IMHO-this is one method i like i'm NOT an expert, but am a licensed electrician

If you want to do a quality job your self you will need a few electrical tools and the exact size copper uninsulted crimp end of your choice kinda like this

1. Cut the wire end square, strip wire 1/2" longer than needed to insert into the female end of crimp lug.
2. slide on 2" to 3" of color coded heat shrink tubing
Product Toy Plastic Games Play

3.insert wire fully into crimp and using a leverage type or electric crimping tool crimp the copper tightly around wire. the proper crimping tool will leave a 5 or six sided crimp dimple on the crimp NOT ROUND. use a tool like this Greenlee pair about $90.00 Hunting knife Knife Cold weapon Tool

6. Next on wire size 6 or larger i just use a propane hand held torch and heating only from the end away from the wire. ( heat pulls solder-good..and heat melts wire insulation-bad)Get some solid solder suitable for wire... not for plumbing, as this will severly corrode your new connection.
7. as the crimp fitting gets warm keep touching your solder to the spot where the wire meets the crimp fiiting, in about 45 seconds you can start filling the crimp fiitting full of solder. the heat will pull the solder in and fill the fitting, when its full it will start to drip out careful.... stop applying heat and solder only use the minimal amount of heat so you don't ruin you insulation.
8. after it has cooled clean up end and slide your heat shrink tube down and apply just enough heat with the torch or a bic to evenly shrink the tube.

wa la- perfect crimp terminal end...good luck

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems pretty reasonable price wise. Do these cutters cleanly and easily cut 2 gauge?

Cutting, something like this: Cable Cutter

Crimping large terminals like that I use a hammer and a flat tipped chisel. If you can you should also solder the terminals. That will ensure you don't get corrosion inside the terminal for the long term.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.