Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so curious to know if any else has had a busted cv boot bust? had mine bust monday..what a %*^)* mess...when pulled it in the shop, it was competly ripped..havent had off road enough to do that. i know the lift doesnt help, but it seems early..i have only about 10200 miles...let me know. almost certain toyota wont warranty it, since ive lifted the factory suspension

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problem.

However, they don't just fail without some sort of cause (typically). Yes, your lift may cause additional stress, so can off-roading where the suspension is run over its full range of motion and/or something hits/punctures it and it fails.

Yes, I would be very surprised of you could find a dealer that would warranty it for you. If you want to take the time to visit dealers to see, but if it were me, I would fix it on my own dime and write it off as the cost of off-roading...

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the stance im taking...its just the damndest thing...i was ON road, paved road, in the dfw metroplex! i didnt even deserve to have it bust..thats what stinks

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
The boot kit is not expensive - like $20. The mess/clean up and the hassle of doing it and getting grease all over you is more of the problem IMO.

Something tore it. Maybe a road hazard you didn't notice. They typically don't just "fail" out of nowhere.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i was figuring..plan on doing it myself, but not a guru...on a scale of 1-10, what would you rank the difficulty to do this replacal operation

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
thats what i was figuring..plan on doing it myself, but not a guru...on a scale of 1-10, what would you rank the difficulty to do this replacal operation
Read through this post when you have time.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-tech/50368-replacing-broken-cv-axle-pictures.html

I have replaced a few axle assemblies and CV boots. The difficulty scale would depend more on your skills than the job itself but I would rate it a 4 for a skilled mechanic and a 7 or 8 for a newb. You will want to buy the axle "oil seal" and the boot kit. Buy two of each if you can afford it and keep the extras as a spare. PM me if you have questions.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gon...man, you ARE THE MAN!!! ive got the new one coming in tommorow..ive got your detailed instructions printed, and waiting to be read, and coverd in grease...damn, i cant wait...im sure there are much more enjoyable events that i could be par taking in..but again, THANX

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
gon...man, you ARE THE MAN!!! ive got the new one coming in tommorow..ive got your detailed instructions printed, and waiting to be read, and coverd in grease...damn, i cant wait...im sure there are much more enjoyable events that i could be par taking in..but again, THANX
Ajstoy. BellyDoc did the write up I'm just forwarding the info to you. I never had enough patience to document a complete axle assembly or CV boot install. I hope your outcome is successful.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I just have to say to the guys here on the forum that go to the trouble to take good pictures during their repairs/mods then take the time to nicely document it, my hats off to you. It's a lot harder to do than it may seem! :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts