Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had new OME lift put in, and now, one week later, I get new tires por on and find this on the passenger side. WTF?

Is this because of the lift & angle of CV axle, or is it just that the CV axle failed randomly? Seems too coincidental to me...

Second and third images are the CV axle angles with no load. I have ikon UCAs on the way to me to hopefully help with the stress on the CVs, but this doesn't look good ATM.

Feedback appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
CV boots do develop cracks and split on their own, after enough years and miles of service (a good thing to check for developing cracks in their valleys each time rotating the tires).

Perhaps the increased suspension angle caused an already weakened boot to go.

If you catch it quickly, often you can clean, re-grease the joint and put on a new boot and keep on going, without having to replace the whole axle. If there is clicking from the joint, which tends to start at large steering wheel angle, and slow speed, first, then gradually gets worse until vibration at all angles and speeds, those would be reason to replace an axle. But, if none of those symptoms, I'd try to re-boot it first.

Norm

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up with the same issue after jacking up my FJ to do a tire rotation. Thought it could have been related, but then after further inspection I noticed the boots were just aging and ready to crack.

My FJ is my daily and rebooting requires removing the axle anyways. So I just bought a new Cardone HD from rockauto and swapped it in. One of these days I can tear in to the damaged one and reboot. To me, this was the quickest easiest to get back on the road.

I did drive mine here in CA for about 5k miles with the ripped boot and 2 times off road before replacing. I could have gone another 5k, but wanted peace of mind. There was still a fair amount of clean grease in there even though a ton leaked out initially.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CV boots do develop cracks and split on their own, after enough years and miles of service (a good thing to check for developing cracks in their valleys each time rotating the tires).

Perhaps the increased suspension angle caused an already weakened boot to go.

If you catch it quickly, often you can clean, re-grease the joint and put on a new boot and keep on going, without having to replace the whole axle. If there is clicking from the joint, which tends to start at large steering wheel angle, and slow speed, first, then gradually gets worse until vibration at all angles and speeds, those would be reason to replace an axle. But, if none of those symptoms, I'd try to re-boot it first.

Norm
Got the boot kits from our local toyo dealer plus bushings for the LCA, will replace everything within a week. No clicking, so hoping all is good. 300 in parts, labor is cheap on the Gulf, so I think everything is okay. Just a mess that I don't have to clean up insha'allah.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts