Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been doing research on accomplishing this task and noticed the "go to" write up on this has you disassemble a lot of the wheel assembly, including brakes, rotor, wheel bearing, etc. While this video on YouTube simply removes the sway bar, tie rods, then you basically swing it up pull the old shaft out, new one in and re-assemble. Is there a reason for the different approaches? I'd rather do the video one on the trail

https://youtu.be/hHY1rpRD11g

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
This is how I've done mine (several times) and will be again this morning. :(

Works great!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lower ball joint adapter doohickey bolts, axle nut, sway bar, and swing it out of the way while you push the axle through. You might have to tap it. And be careful or put the nut back on so you don't damage the threads on the axle.
A time saver, put a little antiseize on the splines in case you have to do it again in the future.

Reactions: EdLopez

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
One thing to add to that video.
When removing the shaft from the diff, it will pull out very easily, if the c-clip is positioned with the opening downward. Try to pull the SHTF loose. It ir does not come out, rotate it about 1/8th of a turn or so. Repeat until it pops loose. It should not have to be pryed out as difficultly as in the video.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing to add to that video.
When removing the shaft from the diff, it will pull out very easily, if the c-clip is positioned with the opening downward. Try to pull the SHTF loose. It ir does not come out, rotate it about 1/8th of a turn or so. Repeat until it pops loose. It should not have to be pryed out as difficultly as in the video.
Dang that would have helped a lot! I fought it for awhile lol great info for next time though. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
When pulling my half shafts, the slide hammer that I have wouldnt bite on the axles and I didnt have the band clamps like in the write up on here under the Stickys. I tried turning and pulling on the axles and I fought with them like crazy. I didnt like the idea of prying against my diff like the video shows. Looking at all of the things I was trying it seemed that each time I pulled on the axle I was pulling at angle. The axle would either go left, right , up or down. I didnt try the band clamps but since youre pulling on one side it seems like the same thing would happen using those. Bottom line is I wasnt getting a good, straight pull at the center of the axle so I used a few long pieces of bailing wire that I wrapped around behind the back of the inner cup. After a few wraps, I had about a foot left over. I took a 2 more pieces of bailing wire and did this 2 more times so I had 3 pieces of wire wrapped around the back of the cup with a about foot sticking out on each piece of wire. I tried my best to attach each piece at the same length to the slide hammer as centered as possible on the cup and twisted the pieces together by rotating the shaft of the slide hammer. After that it took 2 or 3 good wacks with the slide hammer and they popped right out. Prior to doing this I was fighting with axle for over an hour. From start to axle laying on the ground it took less than 10 minutes with the bailing wire. In retrospect, as easy as this method was, I think that a good nylon string would be easier to work with, work just as good and probably be faster. It really doesnt take too much force, the main thing to me seems to be just getting a good pull at center of the axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts