Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I droped off the FJ to day to get the seal on the front axle (driver side) and the rep called and said that the boot had been damaged. It had been bent in. I thought it was rubber and could be popped out. If anyone has had a similar problem I would like to know how to fix it.

Thanks
Edward

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
i just replaced mine myself...ive got a lift, 6"..and they say the cv joint was at a hard angle...it was on the pass side..i couldnt get the dealership to take care of it, b/c of the lift...good luck

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is stock and I have my lift ready to go. If it need replacing I'll do it then. There is nothing wrong with the axle it is just the boot. They want $250 to replace just the boot.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmmm...do you notice any sounds like scraping when you make a left turn?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Mine is stock and I have my lift ready to go. If it need replacing I'll do it then. There is nothing wrong with the axle it is just the boot. They want $250 to replace just the boot.
So, what was there explanation as to why this couldn't be fixed under warranty? Do, you know if it is the clamp or the actual boot that is the problem? If the clamp has become loose you can replace that pretty easily. They may just be wanting to replace the whole boot as a precautionary measure in case some grime got into the boot.

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
the cost..um, well..$35 for the boot, and 2.5 hours work time..and that was not breaking a sweat..the dealer wouldnt warranty it, b/c they push all the blame on the lift, and the fact that all angles are no longer factory..so, they dont have problems, untill you lift it...1",3",6"...to them, a lift is a lift, is a lift....if you have the tools and time, its not an all day adventure...just be prepared to get some grease on you

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The boot is rubber, it can't get bent in. Is he talking about the sway bar link? Please clarify. If you don't have any luck with them then try another dealer for the warranty. There are lots of guys who have had torn CV' boots warrantied and many others like myself who tore them out playing and consider it part of the sport "pay to play" if you will. There are several threads on the forum about replacing CV boots, just do a search.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I concur, I would try another dealer. The lift shouldn't cause the boot to fail, it's rubber and designed to flex.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boot is rubber, it can't get bent in. Is he talking about the sway bar link? Please clarify. If you don't have any luck with them then try another dealer for the warranty. There are lots of guys who have had torn CV' boots warrantied and many others like myself who tore them out playing and consider it part of the sport "pay to play" if you will. There are several threads on the forum about replacing CV boots, just do a search.

Good luck.
It's the boot and it is pushed in. It looks like I hit somthing and pushed the part that makes it flex in. I don't see any holes and will try to fix it when I put the lift on. It's not making any noises and its driving fine.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It's the boot and it is pushed in. It looks like I hit somthing and pushed the part that makes it flex in. I don't see any holes and will try to fix it when I put the lift on. It's not making any noises and its driving fine.
Which boot, inner or outer? The inner boot is a soft rubber, the outer boot is more of a plasticey material and tends to tear easily. You could try gently grabbing on one of the ribs of the boot with needle nose pliers and tug on the indention, however unless you think the boot is actually rubbing on the axle I would just leave it alone. I'm still curious why you took it in, in the first place?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which boot, inner or outer? The inner boot is a soft rubber, the outer boot is more of a plasticey material and tends to tear easily. You could try gently grabbing on one of the ribs of the boot with needle nose pliers and tug on the indention, however unless you think the boot is actually rubbing on the axle I would just leave it alone. I'm still curious why you took it in, in the first place?
The seal on the front driver side axle is leaking. They are going to cover it under warranty. It is the outer next to the tire. I dont think that it is rubbing anything. I think that I'm going to leave it alone until I put the lift on then fix it then since I will already have the tire and most of the front disassembled anyway. It almost looks like it is twisted.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The seal on the front driver side axle is leaking. They are going to cover it under warranty. It is the outer next to the tire. I dont think that it is rubbing anything. I think that I'm going to leave it alone until I put the lift on then fix it then since I will already have the tire and most of the front disassembled anyway. It almost looks like it is twisted.
Ed-

Elaborate just a little. You say a seal is leaking, what seal, the outer wheel bearing seal? Or do you mean the boot is leaking? You say the dealer is covering this seal under warranty but they are not going to fix the boot or you just don't want to be bothered and plan to fix it yourself when you install your lift?

Since you think the boot is twisted have you tried twisting it back? If you can do that then the clamps need to be tightened afterward if possible or replaced.

If the dealer is going to warranty the complete fix then get it done. Replacing a boot is a much tougher job than you can imagine and requires several specialty tools to top it off. The whole axle must be removed just to replace the inner or outer boot. Installing your lift is as easy as removing the tie rod and pulling the old strut assembly. The axle removal is a lot more involved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed-

Elaborate just a little. You say a seal is leaking, what seal, the outer wheel bearing seal? Or do you mean the boot is leaking? You say the dealer is covering this seal under warranty but they are not going to fix the boot or you just don't want to be bothered and plan to fix it yourself when you install your lift?

Since you think the boot is twisted have you tried twisting it back? If you can do that then the clamps need to be tightened afterward if possible or replaced.

If the dealer is going to warranty the complete fix then get it done. Replacing a boot is a much tougher job than you can imagine and requires several specialty tools to top it off. The whole axle must be removed just to replace the inner or outer boot. Installing your lift is as easy as removing the tie rod and pulling the old strut assembly. The axle removal is a lot more involved.

Good luck.
The axle where it connects to the differential the seal is leaking, that is what the dealer is fixing. The cv joint or boot is not leaking. It just looks bad. If they have to disassembly the axle then they should not charge me for the labor to replace the boot.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The axle where it connects to the differential the seal is leaking, that is what the dealer is fixing. The cv joint or boot is not leaking. It just looks bad. If they have to disassembly the axle then they should not charge me for the labor to replace the boot.
Gotcha. FYI They have to remove the tulip bearing, both boots then replace the boots and repack the bearing grease. It's not a big deal but it's not as simple as just removing the axle either. They really should just cover it to be good guys. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha. FYI They have to remove the tulip bearing, both boots then replace the boots and repack the bearing grease. It's not a big deal but it's not as simple as just removing the axle either. They really should just cover it to be good guys. :)
That's what I said. I'm going to try to talk him into doing it and I'll pay for the boot and they install it for free. If not I have replace plenty of them before just not on an FJ.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just curious how much does a ne axle cost and where to get one besides the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts