Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally had a chance to use my favorite christmas gift, the Craftsman Powder Coat Gun. Thought I'd start off small so I did one 3/4" shackle to test it out. WOW! Easy to do.

1st. prep shackle with wire brush or pressure abrasive to remove any paint

2nd. clean surface with solvent. I used mineral spirits.
3rd. hang from oven rack, attach ground wire to hanger wire, and spray coating surface evenly.

4th. bake in oven for 10 minutes to bake then 20 minutes to cure it

Turns from powdery surface to a nice glossy texture. I am using "signal red" for my shackles to match my hi lift.

I know what your about to say...PICS? ya ya ya Ill post them once it gets out of the oven.

I plan on doing anything that will fit into my oven... look for posts on each part!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
PICS PICS!!!!!! googling it now to see how much it costs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are your pics!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was $200 plus cost of powder and extra cups for different colors so you dont have to clean the same one all the time

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice Canadian_rocks. Must be a fun tool. I almost bought the Eastwood kit last year.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Is your wife happy that you told her you're going to buy her a bigger and more powerful oven (one that will fit a wheel)? :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just came out of the oven! It looks so nice and glossy I cant wait to go nuts and do everything else.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your wife happy that you told her you're going to buy her a bigger and more powerful oven (one that will fit a wheel)? :)
She is all for it! The oven in my garage was left with the house when we bought it (spare). I was thinking of even getting an oven extension shaped out of stainless to do 1 wheel at a time.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
She is all for it! The oven in my garage was left with the house when we bought it (spare). I was thinking of even getting an oven extension shaped out of stainless to do 1 wheel at a time.
Success! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
because of this thread i too went out and bought the craftsman powder coating kit. Its $160 and the material is 1.99. I bought it but i don't know what to powder coat yet! Stupid i know, but at that price i figured what the hell! Mines didn't come with extra cups tho. Thanks canadian_rocks. Good find!

·
Premium Member
12,204 Posts
Very cool! Not sure how my landlord would take it to me powder coating in the oven.

Wonder what or if any effect the heat from the oven would have on the shackles WLL?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Wonder what or if any effect the heat from the oven would have on the shackles WLL?
Those shackles are tough, I wouldn't worry about it-unless they are made by penguins in Antarctica. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its not getting red hot or anything so it shouldnt be affected strength wise in any way.

If you spray and ground another way other than your oven rack, I dont see how it will affect your landlords oven.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Summit Racing has a beginners powder coating setup for 140$
Summit Web Site "Notes: This product should not be used in your household oven. It is recommended that a dedicated oven for powdercoating be used. 1.5 oz. of powdercoating media will cover approximately 7 square feet, sold separately."

I may have to borrow the neighbors oven.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts