Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im hoping someone can help me answer this question. ive looked for hours and can't really find a definitive answer. im in the process of wiring up d piller speakers in my 2014 6 speaker system fj. My plan was to disconnect the exciters and wire in d pillar speakers to the factory channel that the exciters were ran on using factory wires. i know the wires are ran back there but not connected. i already have disconnected the exciters behind the drivers kick panel. i jumped the wire to under the drivers sill and connected to the exsisting wires that ran to the d pillar location. I got all the information from a few threads on here, so thank you! i now have power to the rear speakers. My question is though is whether they have the full power from the rear channels of the factory stereo or is it still ran through the condensers and therefore have less power. i can run new wires right from the back of the stereo if i have to, to avoid the condenser, but i was hoping not to at this point. it would be much easier not too. any help would be really appreciated. thank you!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Most likely the capacitor is up beside the exciter itself, however if you are not sure, you could check it with an ohmmeter easily enough. If the exciter wire pairs measure below 10 ohms, then the capacitor is somewhere else, if it measures close to an open circuit, you will know the capacitors are with the exciters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The exciters don't have capacitors(condensers). So to answer your question, the wires in the kick panel have a normal full range signal running to them. The exciters are just basically a speaker motor(magnet and voicecoil etc) that is using the roof liner as the 'cone' so to speak. They are a 4 ohm 'nominal' speaker with the rear speakers being run astweeters only due to the 4.7uf cap.

This capacitor was directly connected to the small speaker and bracket in the pillar itself. The tweeter only added its 8 ohm nominal load to the rear speaker signal above 5000hz or so. Interestingly if you increase the capacitor size(with the exciters disconnected) to 68uf or so, they work like a normal speaker MUCH lower in frequency to the point where you really don't need to change them. They give reasonable sound down to 500hz or so without issue. The same(or VERY similar) driver is used as a midrange in some Toyota/lexus cars ;)

Toyota could probably have just used them as an almost full range speaker but they wanted to use the NXT exciter technology in the roof as a 'cool' gimmick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the electrical diagram the exciters go through junction e27 which is a condenser. Looks to be located in the dash behind the steering wheel. Just wondering if it's connected before or after the harness in the kick panel where i spliced into them. The ohm meter is a great and easy idea. But unfortunately I don't own one......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well thats interesting! if there is a cap somewhere id like to know!

There are a pair of full range speaker level speaker wires in the back of the FJ in the (passenger side for left hand drive/US) which are part of the factory subwoofer plug under the removable cover.

Do a quick search for the wiring of that plug (theres speaker wires, power, earth, switched power and the wire which normally went to the subwoofer switch in the dash.) There's definitely topics on this forum about it :)

Might be easier to just move your cables to this plug?

also regardless of whether there is a cap on the wires you have connected to, if you're only using small 4" speakers and leaving air gaps like a lot of rear speaker installs on this site seem to do, it will make no difference as your little speakers will actually be better off (handle more power and not distort) as they won't produce low frequencies anyway!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer my own ? The condensers are after the junction harness in the kick panel. So otherwise you are fine jumping the signal from the kick panel to the door sill and getting full power to the Dpillar speaker location. I bought a ohm Meter and tested resistance and the factory exciter wires show a open circuit instead of the 8 ohms the speakers are. Thank you for the idea and the information!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am planning on using the left and right exciter channels as speaker level inputs to my monoblock amp to drive my subwoofer.

I cut both channels at the connector in the driver’s side kick panel, and measured the DC resistance on the black / yellow left channel back to the exciter at 3.9 ohms. This would confirm Lunchietey’s statement about the exciters not have a cap attached to them, as the tweeters in the dash do. However, this seems to contradict what Gowaterfalling stated.

I’m still trying to determine if these two exciter channels are filtered within junction E27 prior to the kick panel connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts