Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear speaker wires

so tell me My Fj does not have the rear speakers in the little plastic covers. is the wiring already there If I put my own in? same for the sub woofer? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Re: rear speaker wires

wiring should be there.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

I replaced the rear speakers in the d-pillar. The hook up is there you do need to buy the wiring harness though #12071040. You can purchase it through Crutchfield. I think it's like 10-13 bucks then you have to pay shipping also. So, if your going to replace several speakers you may wanna do it all at once. At least that way you can get free shipping. Also, if you replace the front dash speakers do not buy the wiring harness posted on here. I purchased it and it didnt fit. So, I just cut the clip off the original speakers and wired it to my aftermarket speakers. The easiest way to mount the rear speakers is to buy some self tapping screws and some spacers. The depth for the rear speakers is very shallow so you will have to space the speakers out. Do a search for rear speaker install this should help when you decide to place them. I haven't done anything to the sub location since I didnt have one. So, im not sure about the wiring there.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I just pulled the plates off the rear D, searched and search for the hook up point for the speakers. Can't locate, Can you give a blind man walking a bit of help on what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

My mistake. The wires are not there unless you have the 8 or 9 speaker system.

The wires need to be strung from the e53 junction connector behind the dash back to the D pillar.See page 44 and page 238 of the wiring diagram

Toyota FJ Cruiser: Resources & Documentation Archive

·
Registered
3,403 Posts

The wires ARE there. When you pull the blank covers off look down. You will see the white harness just below the opening. You will want the wire harness referenced before because the harnesses in the D pillars have NO slack and will almost be impossible to wire the speakers without the harness adapters. As for the covers, you can buy them from our supporting vendors or you can make your own like I did.

Make your own D pillar speaker covers!

Good luck!! :roller:

·
C4B_Rocks
761 Posts
D Pillar Speaker Wires

Hey guys I jsut bought some new speakers to replace the front and install a set on the pillar.

My questions is can I splice into the D pillar speaker wiring in the pillar and not worry about not getting any sound or do I need to connect those wirings on the console?

Help, Help, Help..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: D Pillar Speaker Wires

Hey guys I jsut bought some new speakers to replace the front and install a set on the pillar.

My questions is can I splice into the D pillar speaker wiring in the pillar and not worry about not getting any sound or do I need to connect those wirings on the console?

Help, Help, Help..
Huh?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: D Pillar Speaker Wires

If your question is: "Can I use the existing wires in the D Pillar to hook up speakers in the D Pillar?" Then the answer is yes. Just cut the harness off or buy a wiring kit from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How do I get access to the D pillar speaker wire harness??? I'm able to pop off the plastic cover to expose the cavity where the speakers would be, and I can see the harness and plug, but it seems stuck on something...I took a flathead screwdriver and gently pried the white plug out, but the harness just doesn't go anywhere...I can't pull it out of there...I even popped out the plastic covers for the tail lights, the jack etc...No go with any of them...

Has anyone changed out/and or added D pillar speakers to their rig??? If so, how did you do it??? I did a search and found a couple of threads, but there aren't any pics illustrating exactly what was done, only that it was completed...

So I guess I have two questions then...How do I get that speaker harness out, and what would be my best option for wiring in aftermarket speakers into said harness???

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I purchased the adapter through Crutchfield. So, I simply plugged the speakers into the wiring harness. Took some work with the fingers to get it to hook in. However, it worked with a little effort.

Here is the part # 12071040 Toyota Wire Harness speakers, 1995-up (speaker adaptor rear)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You absolutely need the adapter that Garsgrl mentions. Once you have that, it's a piece of cake. Also, try the Stereo / Electronics section. There are several stickys at the top of the page that will be very valuable to you if you are upgrading stereo equipment. :roller:

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Additional note: You probably don't want, nor need to pull the existing connector out of its seat. If you reach in about a 1/2" to an 1" below the lower lip of the opening, you will find the connector. The above harness make the 'garsgrl' mentioned, makes this an easy add-on..
Here is the part # 12071040 Toyota Wire Harness speakers, 1995-up (speaker adaptor rear).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, please get the harness from crutchfield. I just about broke some interior plastic to get to the harness because I am impatient and wanted it done that day, but after an hour.........I gave up, bought the $9.99 connector and 3 days later plugged it right in. Saved me a ton of trouble and time later.

Good luck,
Derrick

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks so much for the help with this one fellas!!! I placed an order for two of the harness sets from Crutchfield last night...Now the quest for some decent 4" speakers to mount in there begins :D

Any audiophiles out there have any recommendations???

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm definitely not an audiophile, but I just got done mounting some 4" Polk db401s back there without too much problem.

I bought some foam speaker baffles from Crutchfield to go around them just to make sure no speaker metal was touching the frame, since the speaker is bigger than what is supposed to go in there. I am sure this isn't the most acoustically correct way to install them, but it made the install easier to me and gives me a little more peace of mind I guess. Between those and the aforementioned wire harnesses, installation was pretty easy.

Right now the covers aren't back on. I'm debating whether to purchase the stock speaker covers, or modifying the blanks that I took off somehow. The blanks won't go back on currently, I need to do a little work to with a Dremel to fix that tomorrow.

I just got to listen to them for a little bit, but they definitely help fill in the sound that I was lacking from the rear. Hopefully once they break in a little bit it will get even better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
7red7,

You do not need "2" sets. 1 set comes with both left and right. I either misunderstood, or you ordered "2" at $9.99 each. You only need one!!!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts