Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: D Pillar speakers wires

In Regards to installing the D Pillar Speakers on your FJ!
A LOT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAVE THE JBL STEREO, OR OTHER JAPANESE NAMED UPGRADED STEREO, OR THE BASE MODEL!!!!!! (PIONEER) Or an Aftermarket System.

I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer some questions regarding adding D Pillar Speakers to your FJ...

The short answer is NO. The long answer is No/Yes. Yes is you have a JBL Head unit, and No, at least not easily if you have the Base Model Non JBL/Other. But if you do, You may be able to if you add an Amp and run those speakers off of that, or...

SUPPOSEDY you can tap the wires going to the Exciter Ceiling Tweeters, (Off of the bigger of the 2 wiring harnesses behind the Drivers side kick Panel, The wires are the bigger Yellow and Black/White and Red) either ending the usage of those speakers and powering the D Pillar Speakers, or T Tapping into them to run both the D Pillar and the Ceiling Tweeters. However I'm not sure if this works as I have not tried it yet.

I was not looking to get into all of that hacking into the Wiring Harnesses, I just thought I'd install the OEM speakers, plug them into the provided wiring and Blam, Easy Cheesy now more Speakers.
This apparently has worked for others on this Forum. (Others with JBL Head Units I'm Sure)

I know all this because I have a 2014 with the Base Model Pioneer 6 speaker system. So far I've spent way too much Time and Money, and hacked apart my wiring Harnesses trying to do it the wrong way (From another Thread on here that also died before being definitive) just to put it all back together somewhat the way it was to begin with, after initially losing my ceiling speakers.

But I did learn a few Facts about it that may help me or someone else trying to do this later.

Those Facts are...

1.The wiring for the D Pillar Speakers is there (Hidden below the hole just almost completely out of sight)
Also the OEM threaded screws to mount the OEM speakers are there too. (almost completely out of sight)

2. You have to pull the Trim(Pillars) back out of the way to install OEM Speakers. It's just 2 plastic retainers removed on each side, and some scary snaps when they come loose, but I assure you it snaps back together easily. This gives you just enough room to get a small wrench on it, and plug in your speakers.

3.The provided wiring for the D Pillar Speakers runs down the Drivers side door sill and are Black & Yellow/Red & White. The wires end all the way in the front under the Drivers side Kick Panel into a Harness like thing that is about as difficult to get to as could be imagined.

4. Those wires as they are, are not doing anything for you if you don't have a JBL system. They just end around the furthest corner out of sight all the way at the front by the floor. Along with all the wires that run down the door sill.

5. Those wires are not the same Black & Yellow/Red & White wires used by the Exciter Tweeters. They are a thicker guage, and if you clip them (as I did) they do not effect the Exciter Ceiling Tweeters.

6. The Exciter Tweeter wires are a smaller guage, also Black & Yellow / Red & White and they are located in a double harness (one big, one smaller) harnesses that are joined together by a piece of plastic, and are held to a surface by a plastic snap on thingy. I unsnapped it to be able to mess with it. There is a clear picture of those harnesses on another thread on here you may have seen. However the poster had marked those wires as left Rear, and Right Rear. They are NOT that. Those are the Exciter wires, and they are located in the bigger of the 2 Harnesses that make up that Double Harness.

7. Another Poster on here said (Wrongly) "Connect the Smaller Black Yellow / Red White wires from the Bigger Harness 1/2 to the little Tiniest Black Yellow / Red White wires on the Smaller Harness 1/2 and this should power the Rear Pillar Speakers instead of the Exciters, or tap into them to run both Exciters and Rear Pillar Speakers".
I tried both of those things with the smaller Harness Wires to the Bigger Harness Wires (AKA the Exciter Wires) and that is Wrong Wrong and Wronger! I'm not sure exactly what those tiny wires on the Smaller part do, but they sure as hell don't do that. Glad I hacked those all apart just to put them back together again.

I can tell you everything from 1 - 7 is a Fact Fact Fact. It is not Speculation or B.S. information like I was fed.

At this point I'm either going to just say F it. Or I might try tapping into the actual Exciter wires on the Bigger 1/2 of the Double Harness, from the Drivers Side Door Sill where I snipped the Rear Pillar Speaker Wires. Just to see if it for one powers the Rear Pillar Speakers, and if so? I may then try T Tapping into the Exciter wires to see if I can get both the Exciters, and the D Pillar Speakers working as I originally intended.

Or

I may start to compile an "Upgraded JBL System" from somebody who has taken one out of their Rig. and try and put it in mine. And maybe at the same time add some Back Door Speakers, & upgrade the Door Speakers and Dash Speakers eventually.

I'm not looking for a Super Thumping System. My System has enough Base for me as it is with no Sub and the poor excuse for speakers it came with. I was merely trying to get a little more sound to the back seat of the Rig for the rare occasion that somebody sits back there. But I want a Stock Head Unit to keep the Stock look because I like it, and I don't want some A Hole trying to steal my Alpine or whatever aftermarket Head Unit and F ing up my dash in the process.

I thought this was going to be a quick and easy upgrade to install OEM (JBL) Rear D Pillar Speakers in the factory location using the provided wiring. Boy was I wrong!

I hope this helps someone else thinking about adding those speakers to their Rig.

·
Registered
47 Posts
so you guys got me thinking. My sound is not great in the rear so i was thinking of adding some speakers back there so my kids can hear the video playing through the stock system. are you just cutting out a hole into the square panel that appears to be removable and installing the speaker there? and my rig is already prewired for that? and will a speaker that small help out the sound that much?

I have an 08, offroad package - no speakers in the rear right now, but i just replaced the stock head unit with an AVIC-D3.
THAT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAVE THE JBL STEREO, OR OTHER JAPANESE NAMED UPGRADED STEREO, OR THE BASE MODEL!!!!!! (PIONEER) or an Aftermarket System!!!

I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer the above question, the short answer is NO. The long answer is No/Yes. Yes is you have a JBL Head unit, and No, at least not easily if you have the Base Model Non JBL/Other. But if you do, You may be able to if you add an Amp and run those speakers off of that, or...

SUPPOSEDY you can tap the wires going to the Exciter Ceiling Tweeters, (Off of the bigger of the 2 wiring harnesses behind the Drivers side kick Panel, The wires are the bigger Yellow and Black/White and Red) either ending the usage of those speakers and powering the D Pillar Speakers, or T Tapping into them to run both the D Pillar and the Ceiling Tweeters. However I'm not sure if this works as I have not tried it yet.

I was not looking to get into all of that hacking into the Wiring Harnesses, I just thought I'd install the OEM speakers, plug them into the provided wiring and Blam, Easy Cheesy now more Speakers.
This apparently has worked for others on this Forum. (Others with JBL Head Units I'm Sure)

I know all this because I have a 2014 with the Base Model Pioneer 6 speaker system. So far I've spent way too much Time and Money, and hacked apart my wiring Harnesses trying to do it the wrong way (From another Thread on here that also died before being definitive) just to put it all back together somewhat the way it was to begin with, after initially losing my ceiling speakers.

But I did learn a few Facts about it that may help me or someone else trying to do this later.

Those Facts are...

1.The wiring for the D Pillar Speakers is there (Hidden below the hole just almost completely out of sight)
Also the OEM threaded screws to mount the OEM speakers are there too. (almost completely out of sight)

2. You have to pull the Trim(Pillars) back out of the way to install OEM Speakers. It's just 2 plastic retainers removed on each side, and some scary snaps when they come loose, but I assure you it snaps back together easily. This gives you just enough room to get a small wrench on it, and plug in your speakers.

3.The provided wiring for the D Pillar Speakers runs down the Drivers side door sill and are Black & Yellow/Red & White. The wires end all the way in the front under the Drivers side Kick Panel into a Harness like thing that is about as difficult to get to as could be imagined.

4. Those wires as they are, are not doing anything for you if you don't have a JBL system. They just end around the furthest corner out of sight all the way at the front by the floor. Along with all the wires that run down the door sill.

5. Those wires are not the same Black & Yellow/Red & White wires used by the Exciter Tweeters. They are a thicker guage, and if you clip them (as I did) they do not effect the Exciter Ceiling Tweeters.

6. The Exciter Tweeter wires are a smaller guage, also Black & Yellow / Red & White and they are located in a double harness (one big, one smaller) harnesses that are joined together by a piece of plastic, and are held to a surface by a plastic snap on thingy. I unsnapped it to be able to mess with it. There is a clear picture of those harnesses on another thread on here you may have seen. However the poster had marked those wires as left Rear, and Right Rear. They are NOT that. Those are the Exciter wires, and they are located in the bigger of the 2 Harnesses that make up that Double Harness.

7. Another Poster on here said (Wrongly) "Connect the Smaller Black Yellow / Red White wires from the Bigger Harness 1/2 to the little Tiniest Black Yellow / Red White wires on the Smaller Harness 1/2 and this should power the Rear Pillar Speakers instead of the Exciters, or tap into them to run both Exciters and Rear Pillar Speakers".
I tried both of those things with the smaller Harness Wires to the Bigger Harness Wires (AKA the Exciter Wires) and that is Wrong Wrong and Wronger! I'm not sure exactly what those tiny wires on the Smaller part do, but they sure as hell don't do that. Glad I hacked those all apart just to put them back together again.

I can tell you everything from 1 - 7 is a Fact Fact Fact. It is not Speculation or B.S. information like I was fed.

At this point I'm either going to just say F it. Or I might try tapping into the actual Exciter wires on the Bigger 1/2 of the Double Harness, from the Drivers Side Door Sill where I snipped the Rear Pillar Speaker Wires. Just to see if it for one powers the Rear Pillar Speakers, and if so? I may then try T Tapping into the Exciter wires to see if I can get both the Exciters, and the D Pillar Speakers working as I originally intended.

Or

I may start to compile an "Upgraded JBL System" from somebody who has taken one out of their Rig. and try and put it in mine. And maybe at the same time add some Back Door Speakers, & upgrade the Door Speakers and Dash Speakers eventually.

I'm not looking for a Super Thumping System. My System has enough Base for me as it is with no Sub and the poor excuse for speakers it came with. I was merely trying to get a little more sound to the back seat of the Rig for the rare occasion that somebody sits back there. But I want a Stock Head Unit to keep the Stock look because I like it, and I don't want some A Hole trying to steal my Alpine or whatever aftermarket Head Unit and F ing up my dash in the process.

I thought this was going to be a quick and easy upgrade to install OEM (JBL) Rear D Pillar Speakers in the factory location using the provided wiring. Boy was I wrong!

I hope this helps someone else thinking about adding those speakers to their Rig.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: 2012 6 speaker D pillar wires. Where do they go?

What's going on guys, this is my first post, and I just wanna say thanks. I've learned so much already, and appreciate everybody's input and respect.

Quick question. After buzzing around for awhile, I found that the standard 6 speaker system (Door, dash, exciters) has wires that run to the D pillar. Any idea what happens to these wires, or where they terminate? Also, can I splice the wires from the exciters to the D pillar wires?

Just really looking to get some QUALITY into the back of the FJ. Ya Know? :rocker:
IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAVE THE JBL STEREO, OR OTHER JAPANESE NAMED UPGRADED STEREO, OR THE BASE MODEL!!!!!! (PIONEER) Or an Aftermarket System!!!

I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer the above question, as well as some other questions....

Those Facts are...

Or

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: 2013 TT FJ Rear Pillar Speaker Wire Harness is there but no sound

I have a 2012 Trail Teams with the same issue. Is there any way the pillar wiring can be plugged into a non-JBL system? The wires are already there they have to go somewhere...
I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer the above question, the short answer is NO. The long answer is No/Yes. Yes is you have a JBL Head unit, and No, at least not easily if you have the Base Model Non JBL/Other. But if you do, You may be able to if you add an Amp and run those speakers off of that, or...

Those Facts are...

Or

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: rear speaker wires

I did learn a few Facts about it that may help me or someone else trying to do this later.

Those Facts are...

Or

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: D Pillar Speaker Wires

Hey guys I jsut bought some new speakers to replace the front and install a set on the pillar.

My questions is can I splice into the D pillar speaker wiring in the pillar and not worry about not getting any sound or do I need to connect those wirings on the console?

Help, Help, Help..
IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAVE THE JBL STEREO, OR OTHER JAPANESE NAMED UPGRADED STEREO, OR THE BASE MODEL!!!!!! (PIONEER)

I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer the above question, the short answer is NO. The long answer is No/Yes. Yes if you have a JBL Head unit, and No, at least not easily if you have the Base Model Non JBL/Other. But if you do, You may be able to if you add an Amp and run those speakers off of that, or...

Those Facts are...

Or

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: D Pillar Speaker Wires

Hey guys I jsut bought some new speakers to replace the front and install a set on the pillar.

My questions is can I splice into the D pillar speaker wiring in the pillar and not worry about not getting any sound or do I need to connect those wirings on the console?

Help, Help, Help..
Right. (in your case) IT DEPENDS ON WHETHER YOU HAVE THE JBL STEREO, OR OTHER JAPANESE NAMED UPGRADED STEREO, OR THE BASE MODEL!!!!!! (PIONEER)

Those Facts are...

Or

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: 2011 Stereo Details and why Rear Speakers don't work with 6 speaker base system

I know this Thread is Dead, but to answer the above question...
Thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough write-up. Plug and play was just too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
44 Posts
I know this is an old/dead thread and there are differing opinions as to the value of even attempting to add speakers to the rear pillars. But this is something I've been planning on doing for a while and am just now getting around to doing it with my 2014 FJ w/o JBL. Having already replaced the dash tweeters and front door speakers, the plan after this is to add a new head unit.

Having read the whole thread and several others, here's where I'm at right now.
I bought the stock brackets (86161-35120 and 86161-35110) and modified them to accept the pioneer 3.5" speakers I decided upon. I will likely just clip the connector at the D-pillars and connect the wires that came with those speakers.

Looking at page 238 of the wiring diagram shared here in the thread, the LR and RR wires leave the head unit and connect to the E53 junction connector. Pins 5/11 and 3/9 from E53 connect to the D-pillar tweeters via pins 27/26 and 25/24 from connector EL1 behind the driver-side kick plate. Meanwhile pins 2/8 and 4/10 of E53 connect to the E27 Speaker Condenser. From the condenser, the V/P and G/L wires power the exciters via connector RE1, also behind the driver-side kick plate.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they redirected the input from RE1 to EL1 power the D-pillar speakers and came to the conclusion that there was no condenser in their 2013 FJ after testing it with a multi-meter. I checked the location for E27 described in the diagram and found nothing, leading me to believe that there isn't a condenser upstream of RE1. Either today or tomorrow I plan to find RE1 and try to trace where the input wires are coming from.

Page 51 of the diagram shows RE1 towards the top of the kick place and EL1 at the bottom. E27 supposedly is located above the interior fuse panel, and E53 is apparently located underneath the passenger side airbag.

Thus far the simplest option (and the one described earlier in this thread) is to connect from RE1 to EL1. That is, RE1 pins 1/2 to EL1 pins 24/25 (respectively) to power the left side and RE1 pins 3/4 to EL1 pins 26/27 (respectively) to power the right. Page 283 has the diagram for EL1 and page 285 has the diagram for RE1.

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
44 Posts
SO, for those at all interested in this, I didn't find RE1 but I did find where the d-pillar wires terminate on the male side of EL1 and I did find the speaker condenser.

Take the kick plate off, find the connector at the bottom of the blue bracket that requires an 8mm socket to disconnect, and find the four male connectors in the bottom left (pins 24-27, red/white/black/yellow wires). Look above the interior fuse panel and behind the driver vent cover and you'll see the headliner speaker condenser (black box, white plug on the right side with 8x wires). Snip off the red/white/black/yellow wires, and run the connections to the d-pillar wires. Put it all back together and fire it up.

Very happy to finally have that done. Not tons of sound from the back, but it's enough to make me happy.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
In my world you have a good strong front stage setup with quality component speakers and good amp and sub which Elimates the need for rear speakers , same as a good home audio system

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but figured this might help another person 2010 No JBL. During my research there was lots of mention of 2011+ but nothing about 2010. I took a chance and ordered the harness from Crutchfield https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12071040/Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html?omnews=15298959 . I figured it was cheap enough and if it didn't work then I I'll just run wires. I can confirm for 2010 with no JBL the rear pillar wires ARE receiving signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would be super helpful if someone could share pictures of the connectors in the kickpanel. I cant tell which is which.

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
44 Posts
I thought I snapped some pics of mine when I did this kid but can’t find them. I’ll try to get some later. But the wires to the rear pillars terminate in the grey, octagonal connector at the bottom of the driver’s kick plate area. It’s the one with the bolt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks. I guess what I need to figure out is how to connect my newly installed rear speakers to the "rear" wires going to the exciters, and if needed disconnecting the exciters at the same time. There's gotta be a jumper or plug somewhere to make that easy.

·
Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
44 Posts
Thanks. I guess what I need to figure out is how to connect my newly installed rear speakers to the "rear" wires going to the exciters, and if needed disconnecting the exciters at the same time. There's gotta be a jumper or plug somewhere to make that easy.
There are wires going from the D-pillar location to the driver side kick plate (red/white and black/yellow). The exciter wires are the same colors, but they go to a controller behind the driver side dash vent. What you'll have to do is cut the input wires going to said controller connect them to the d-pillar speaker wires. To do that you'll have to run about 2.5' of additional wire between the two. I noted the exact pin numbers in post 129 above. If you look up those particular connectors in the FJ wiring diagram/manual it'll show you where each pin is. I thought I snapped a few pictures when I was doing this but can't seem to find them. Which means I'll have to pull things apart and try again later.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts