Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Damn it! I thought I would just buy an FJ and be happy stock. Day One, I put on Goodyear DuraTracs 265/70/17. Day Two, removed side steps. Day Five, removed pin stripe. Day Six, I purchased TT door handles, mirrors and front grill which will be installed Wednesday.

What's next up? This is where I need help with decisions. I have read and searched and now my head is about explode with all the options. I want either a Demello or MetalTech front bumper, but I have read that I will need a suspension lift to support it. I would like to avoid suspension mods since I just bought new tires. Could I just buy Bilstein 5100's to level it all out after a front bumper? Or will the weight of the bumper not be much of a big deal with those 2 options? I have had some 130 lb. women sit on bumper and there is a negligible difference.

Thanks!! I will take pics Sunday of FJ without pin stripe and side steps and then pics with new TT stuff. Here is Day One pics:

Now:

·
Registered
279 Posts
looks good!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I want either a Demello or MetalTech front bumper, but I have read that I will need a suspension lift to support it. I would like to avoid suspension mods since I just bought new tires. Could I just buy Bilstein 5100's to level it all out after a front bumper? Or will the weight of the bumper not be much of a big deal with those 2 options? I have had some 130 lb. women sit on bumper and there is a negligible difference.
You're not going to notice a huge difference with a static load on the front of the vehicle. It's when you are moving (i.e. mainly stopping and turning) that you'll notice the extra weight of an aftermarket bumper on the front. The Metaltech I'd say go for it without any suspension mods, but if you're going with a DeMello then I'd personally go with 5100's and OME 883 coils in the front. The DeMello is roughly twice the weight of the Metal Tech.

You're off to a great start! Hope to meet you soon! :cheers:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're not going to notice a huge difference with a static load on the front of the vehicle. It's when you are moving (i.e. mainly stopping and turning) that you'll notice the extra weight of an aftermarket bumper on the front. The Metaltech I'd say go for it without any suspension mods, but if you're going with a DeMello then I'd personally go with 5100's and OME 883 coils in the front. The DeMello is roughly twice the weight of the Metal Tech.

You're off to a great start! Hope to meet you soon! :cheers:
I am leaning towards the Demello since I can get it for about $200 less. I have already talked to them and they will build mine w/o logo. I saw you had one. Wanna help me put mine on?? :wave:

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
welcome to the furum, and let the modding begin! Trust me, it won't take long before your FJ doesn't resemble that fist picture.

Where in DFW are you? Landy and I are N.Dallas/Plano area. I would be willing to help with a bumper install one weekend.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to the furum, and let the modding begin! Trust me, it won't take long before your FJ doesn't resemble that fist picture.

Where in DFW are you? Landy and I are N.Dallas/Plano area. I would be willing to help with a bumper install one weekend.
I live at 635 and Tollway. That would be great if I could get some help and meet some fellow forum members.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice looking start. How do you like the Duratracs?

·
Registered
402 Posts
So far they have been great! Of course they haven't seen rain, mud or even dirt yet. On road they are just as quiet as the stock ones.
I'm thinking of getting them when my Rugged Trail's wear out. They look stout!

I have some TSL's for offroading in mud, but I hate riding them full time so I ride the stock RT's for now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking of getting them when my Rugged Trail's wear out. They look stout!

I have some TSL's for offroading in mud, but I hate riding them full time so I ride the stock RT's for now.
I think they are the perfect compromise between looks and function.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I am leaning towards the Demello since I can get it for about $200 less. I have already talked to them and they will build mine w/o logo. I saw you had one. Wanna help me put mine on?? :wave:
Of course we'd love to help you out! Hit me up if you wanna look at the DeMello before you throw down some coin on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course we'd love to help you out! Hit me up if you wanna look at the DeMello before you throw down some coin on it.
I bounce back and forth between Demello, MT and Rocktek. I like the idea of supporting local small businesses which has me thinking Rocktek.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,470 Posts
Well, sounds like something is in the works...I guess we'll just have to wait and see what choice you make.

But like Landy said Rocktek is very well built and as you pointed out would be supporting local business. Outrider offroad deals Roktek: OUTRIDER OFFROAD - (and btw, that is Landy and I on the front page.:bigthumb:)

I will not sway you one bit. Demello and Metal-tech are both stand up forum vendors with great customer service and products as well. And so is Outrider for that matter.

A lot of it is looks, but we know there are more factors at play as well. Good luck in your decision!

We'll be waiting.:rocker:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, sounds like something is in the works...I guess we'll just have to wait and see what choice you make.

But like Landy said Rocktek is very well built and as you pointed out would be supporting local business. Outrider offroad deals Roktek: OUTRIDER OFFROAD - (and btw, that is Landy and I on the front page.:bigthumb:)

I will not sway you one bit. Demello and Metal-tech are both stand up forum vendors with great customer service and products as well. And so is Outrider for that matter.

A lot of it is looks, but we know there are more factors at play as well. Good luck in your decision!

We'll be waiting.:rocker:
Where is Outrider Offroad located??

·
Registered
402 Posts
Next up: TT Door handles, mirrors and Front grill.
You are going to do them yourself right? I just did mine. Your rig will look even meaner with the blackout!

FWIW, I would get some good sliders before a bumper if you are going anywhere around rocks. Just my 2cents. :) I opted for the Demello Light sliders and find them to be very well made. In hindsight, I don't think I would have gotten them powder coated. I should have just got them naked and rattle canned them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are going to do them yourself right? I just did mine. Your rig will look even meaner with the blackout!

FWIW, I would get some good sliders before a bumper if you are going anywhere around rocks. Just my 2cents. :) I opted for the Demello Light sliders and find them to be very well made. In hindsight, I don't think I would have gotten them powder coated. I should have just got them naked and rattle canned them.
Yes, I will be putting everything on myself. I am about to search to see how to do mirrors. Sliders will be down the road. I just have to get rid of all that ridiculous plastic up front!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
To me, the mirrors are the most complicated but not any where near impossible. You just have to take the door panels off, then remove the mirrors, mask off the bit that are already black then prep, clean and paint. I still have to do mine but will have it done this week after work one night.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts