Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I busted a few things on the Mojave Trail Run April 5-6th. Looks like the spindle (steering knuckle) took the brunt of the damage. We did a pretty decent trail repair including changing out an axle, borrowing and adding a wheel spacer to help the tire clear the UCA and using a stock spare tire. Later that day we toed out the wheel to the max as well. I was able to drive home from Zzyzx Road to Costa Mesa, about 120 miles without too much trouble. Turns out the right upper shock mount on my DR's (Icon's) is broken also. I'll see what the guys at Icon have to say. Knowing them, they will fix it on the spot, no questions asked. Here are some pics.

Old and new spindle lying flat on the garage floor side by side. Notice the big difference between the spacing of the UCA bolt hole to the ground. About a 1 1/2" difference between old and new. The spindle is also bent slightly rearward as well as inward.

New spindle. 5 1/2" to ground

Old spindle 4" to ground. Nice bend.

Have not see this failure yet on a DR (Icon).

Closeup. Notice the casting is broken completely away from the shock mount cap.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ouch Scott,

You really bent that spindle good. I was not able to tell what was bent on the Mojave trail, but now seeing it side by side with a new one I see how out of wack it was. I'm glad you have the damage figured out - sometimes that is the hardest part. Let me know if I can give you a hand with anything.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Way to go Scott thats the way to test the suspension. :bigthumb:

The spindle is really bad with the side by side comparison. And I really surprised you damaged the shock. I am sure Icon will take care of you though.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
I busted a few things on the Mojave Trail Run April 5-6th. Looks like the spindle (steering knuckle) took the brunt of the damage.

Old and new spindle lying flat on the garage floor side by side. Notice the big difference between the spacing of the UCA bolt hole to the ground. About a 1 1/2" difference between old and new. The spindle is also bent slightly rearward as well as inward.

New spindle. 5 1/2" to ground

Old spindle 4" to ground. Nice bend.
I'd say dump the front sway bar and weld on some TC spindle gussets :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Scott -

IIRC you also broke another sway bar link, and a beefy one this time. What's the verdict on that? Do you think that was the result of the spindle getting tweaked, or a separate issue?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Scott -

IIRC you also broke another sway bar link, and a beefy one this time. What's the verdict on that? Do you think that was the result of the spindle getting tweaked, or a separate issue?

Dave (cnynrat)- That was most likely a separate issue. I will never break a link again though, I'm going sans sway bar permanently. Today I visited Kartek in Corona and picked up the TC gussets to strengthen the spindles. I had them welded on for $20.00 a piece at Mesa Muffler in Costa Mesa, another great shop worth the drive for great service. FYI The gussets block the hole used to attach the sway bar links so there is no going back. Yes!
This photo is not of an FJC spindle but it is the same idea.

Thanks Jeshua for the heads up on those gussets and Mir207 too, your build photos rock. I'm sure I'll just break something else, LOL , but damn those CV boots make a mess.

I'm switching to OME heavies on the rear which will hopefully alleviate some of the sway and yaw and I'll just have to drive a little slower in the mountains.

I also visited Dillen, Adrian and Jesse at Icon today. Those guys are the bomb I tell you. The best customer service ever. Not only did they replace the broken cap, they installed my new springs I had powder coated, cleaned the shocks, then gave me an Icon brand power drink, T-shirt and stickers. Geez, it doesn't get any better.

John (Tit-Cruiser) thanks for the offer to help out I appreciate it and thanks to everyone else for your feed back. I'll post up some photos of the new gussets during and after the install. The paint is drying right now.:)

FYI Kartek Off-Road is an insane place to see every after-market part you could never afford! LOL
Kartek Off-Road

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Glad you got it all taken care of.

And Icon stepped it up with that service for sure. :bigthumb: I want a T-shirt too. :D

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
This photo is not of an FJC spindle but it is the same idea.

Thanks Jeshua for the heads up on those gussets and Mir207 too, your build photos rock. I'm sure I'll just break something else, LOL , but damn those CV boots make a mess.

I'm switching to OME heavies on the rear which will hopefully alleviate some of the sway and yaw and I'll just have to drive a little slower in the mountains.
I think with the heavies and a bit of time, you'll forget you ever had sway bars.

Yeah, I'm sure something else will go now, but that's the fun, right, moving the damage around :)

This is the spindle gusset in place on my FJC for those that want to see:

·
Registered
224 Posts
That is crazy how you really couldn't tell on the trail but next to an UNbent one you can totally see the difference.......glad you figured out whats wrong....let me know if you need a hand and me and Morgan/Trapper can help you out!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
wheres the pictures of the terrain that mauled your truck?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
OMG, I hope it wasnt caused by the rim I gave you! J/K, Wow dude you get the award for FJ Bruiser on this board for dang sure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were on the Mojave Trail going maybe 35-45mph but the visibility was bad and I was following too closely. Dominic was running point and Mattmainster was behind him then me. Mattmainster hit the same rock as I did, slashing his tire and bending his steelie a bit. I ran Cleghorn hard today and the rig felt great.

Here is a picture of the new gusset welded to the spindle. Same shot as Mir207's without the dirt.:)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I love the Voodoo Springs. :bigthumb:

The gussets looks great Scott, don't forget to give us a review on the on / off road feel with out the sway bar.

And yes any plan to add a limit strap? I would recommend it so you don't over extend the CV and break it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the Voodoo Springs. :bigthumb:

The gussets looks great Scott, don't forget to give us a review on the on / off road feel with out the sway bar.

And yes any plan to add a limit strap? I would recommend it so you don't over extend the CV and break it.
Josh, who do I see for the straps, Kartek or should I just fab them myself? Nah!

Dom, the springs are just Icons powder coated blue. I had an extra set coated months ago but never got around to installing them.

I didn't really miss the sway bar to be honest. I'll give you my opinion after Big Bear next weekend.

It was real sway bar feels great

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Josh, who do I see for the straps, Kartek or should I just fab them myself? Nah!

Dom, the springs are just Icons powder coated blue. I had an extra set coated months ago but never got around to installing them.

I didn't really miss the sway bar to be honest. I'll give you my opinion after Big Bear next weekend.

It was real sway bar feels great
Kartek is what you want of course. ;)

I wrote out a little thing on what to do. I'll look for it really quick so I dont' have to rewrite everything.

Dom do you have that?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kartek is what you want of course. ;)

I wrote out a little thing on what to do. I'll look for it really quick so I dont' have to rewrite everything.

Dom do you have that?
Was it a thread about straps?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts