Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used FJ Cruiser and the previous owner had stuck a cell phone holder to the big flat piece in front of the passenger, above the glove box between the two cylinders. After removing the cell phone holder I notice that the adhesive had done damage to the plastic. Does this piece come off and can I replace it? I went to the dealership and they could not find the part on their diagram of the dash parts. If it does come off, does anyone know the part number? I have attached a stock photo of the dash in case you need to see which part I am looking for. I would say the panel is about 14"x6" (the truck is not here so I can't measure it). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
I recently purchased a used FJ Cruiser and the previous owner had stuck a cell phone holder to the big flat piece in front of the passenger, above the glove box between the two cylinders. After removing the cell phone holder I notice that the adhesive had done damage to the plastic. Does this piece come off and can I replace it? I went to the dealership and they could not find the part on their diagram of the dash parts. If it does come off, does anyone know the part number? I have attached a stock photo of the dash in case you need to see which part I am looking for. I would say the panel is about 14"x6" (the truck is not here so I can't measure it). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
The image you posted is just a stock image, right? That's not one of your dash, is it?

Anyway, search is your friend

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-door-panels-removal-instructions-w-pics.html

and then deeper detail here --
http://www.**********.com/tech/Dash.pdf

stars are fjc central (one word) ... geez

Good luck. Personally, it's a ton of work to get to that one piece, and there is no guarantee that a junkyard would remove it properly.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not sure what would fix it up other than a new part. That might be a challenge to find. How do you feel about a cover up with stickers? Some like them, some don't. How bad is the damage anyway? Is it just adhesive residue or material removed? I know with a new ride we want it to be looking good so it would be insensitive of me to say don't sweat the small stuff because to you it isn't small.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
you might also try some meguiars back to black or something of that nature... you'd just have to do that whole panel. I've scuffed up a large portion of my interior and repaired (or attempted) each one a different way. Sharpies work good on the darker bits. Another guy used spray in bedliner on his trunk portion, looked good too.

I know it kills you to look at it on your brand new to you truck. Good luck. Like i said before, I'd try a junkyard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I went to the dealership and they told me it is a piece of the entire dashboard assembly and that I would have to replace the dash. No thank you! I'll figure something out. I still think that panel comes off but I need to drop the glove box and check it out. By the way, attached is a picture of the new ride. It is a 2007 TRD package (6 speed) that only had 29,000 miles on it. Happened to be serviced right down the road from where I live so took it over before purchase and had Toyota inspect it for 3 hours. They said every bit of scheduled maintenance had been done and all on time. They said it was a perfect truck. Drove it on first road trip a week later to Austin and for the first time heard the infamous 'chirp' of the thow out bearing. Got on this forum and read that Toyota had finally issued a TSB back in December. Took to Toyota the next week and had all clutch assembly replaced (redesigned) for free. I am now pretty damn happy! As far as the dash problem, Maybe I'll just install a new phone holder to cover it up....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Nice clean truck. Maybe you can talk to Springtail and have them make a rack for that area and use your truck as a tester...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
A new phone holder sounds like the perfect solution. :rocker: Thats a sweet looking rig you got there. :wave:
Now you need to black out the silver bumper wings.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That flat part you're speaking about is not a separate piece. It is part of the entire dash assembly, like the dealership is saying.

It's pretty easy to remove the glove box and the one panel above that in order to take a look. I've looked in there extensively in order to try and figure out a secure way to fabricate another oh sh*t handle right there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts