Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those round j-shaped frame cross members (i have no idea what they are really called) How much damage from banging rocks is too much? I have hit mine a few times and each one is now dented in somewhat. Also, I saw on at least some of the skid plate designs this is mounted outside of the plates and would still get hit. Does that mean they can take a beating and all is well?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Those round j-shaped frame cross members (i have no idea what they are really called) How much damage from banging rocks is too much? I have hit mine a few times and each one is now dented in somewhat. Also, I saw on at least some of the skid plate designs this is mounted outside of the plates and would still get hit. Does that mean they can take a beating and all is well?
I know with the Man-A-Fre skidplates you remove them entirely. Both Cats are covered completely and the need for the crossframe supports is nonexistant. When I removed mine, I needed a prybar they were bent up so badly, and everything else was still fine...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
There are two concepts with skid plates: Minimalist (light weight/smaller) and Maximalist (weight secondary consideration to coverage and durability).

Both MAF and BudBuilt cover the area you're concerned with. Both sets of skids are well made. I personally don't fully (internally) understand the minimalist philosophy when it comes to skids. Weight is very important, but to me having parts break is worse.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
There are two concepts with skid plates: Minimalist (light weight/smaller) and Maximalist (weight secondary consideration to coverage and durability).

Both MAF and BudBuilt cover the area you're concerned with. Both sets of skids are well made. I personally don't fully (internally) understand the minimalist philosophy when it comes to skids. Weight is very important, but to me having parts break is worse.
X2!
I would not remove the above mentioned braces as they are a big part in keeping the frame from "racking". I am from the NE originally and trucks that were equiped with snow plows generally added angle braces to deter "racking"

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Can someone name the part or better show a picture? I have no idea what part we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My Braces are bent up pretty good, My all Pro Skids do not have you remove them and I don't think that I would, But covering them or making them stronger is a good option... maybe the best!

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Can someone name the part or better show a picture? I have no idea what part we are talking about.
They're at the bottom of the picture. DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
If you look under the rig...it's the only brace at a 45 degree angle....about 10 inches long....there's two of them....
Got it homedad, thanks. I went and got under my rig and spotted them, and now I confirmed it with the great picture posted. I bet they are there for a good reason, but it is also true that a strong cover plate could replace them. Now, If you bend them out of shape they will do more damage than good because they will be pulling on both extremes counter-productively.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
No, a strong cover plate won't replace them. They are there as a rack brace to keep the frame from paralelagraming. Triangulation is what they are there for. No skid plates that I am aware of out there would provide the bracing that they do. If anything more are required.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
No, a strong cover plate won't replace them. They are there as a rack brace to keep the frame from paralelagraming. Triangulation is what they are there for. No skid plates that I am aware of out there would provide the bracing that they do. If anything more are required.

The Man-A-Fre skids REQUIRE you to remove them.....I've never had them....

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I disagree with the part about them being for shear bracing (parallelogram support).

The crossmember they attach to is for the transmission support bracket, and it gets a torque that wants to drop it on one side and lift it on the other. The diagnoal braces are there to help resist twist.

This is NOT a strong crossmember in regard to it's ability to support the frame... notice how easily it crushes on rocks. It's NOT like the longitudinal frame members to the sides. The metal is thinner and it's fenestrated with multiple cutouts. It's held with 2 thin bolts at either end and stabilized with the crimp-ended tube diagonals.

Several crossmembers stabilize the frame into the rectangular configuration, most notable is the double-wide crossbar at the front suspension, the one over the rear axle with the panhard mount, and the one that forms the rear bumper.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I had more skill and tools I think I would fab up a replacement set that were much stronger. I am surprised at how little it took to start denting these in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
mine got damage as I was throwing them in the trash!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I disagree with the part about them being for shear bracing (parallelogram support).

The crossmember they attach to is for the transmission support bracket, and it gets a torque that wants to drop it on one side and lift it on the other. The diagnoal braces are there to help resist twist.

This is NOT a strong crossmember in regard to it's ability to support the frame... notice how easily it crushes on rocks. It's NOT like the longitudinal frame members to the sides. The metal is thinner and it's fenestrated with multiple cutouts. It's held with 2 thin bolts at either end and stabilized with the crimp-ended tube diagonals.

Several crossmembers stabilize the frame into the rectangular configuration, most notable is the double-wide crossbar at the front suspension, the one over the rear axle with the panhard mount, and the one that forms the rear bumper.
hmm, i am going to have to go look up fenestrated. :lol:

Bellydoc, i need to go check your build up page and see what you have updated...

·
Registered
211 Posts

I'm curious on your opinion doc.....do you feel they are necessary with something like the MAF skids?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I haven't looked at the MAF skids closely. Homedad has them, though. He'd have good input on that question.

If the skids actually bolt to that crossmember, then the shear strength they'd impart would be better than the angled tube pieces.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts