Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got some weather that was warm enough to paint. I finally put on the OEM black Tundra handles that I've had since the post first appeared on this site. Also blacked out my dash. Using Rust-Oleum textured paint for plastic. Repainted my D-shackle and put in my custom 4x4 shift knob. Had to make it taller then I wanted too but that was the only way I could get it to work. It is a Schaefer Beer tap that my father had on the shifter in his first car a 1953 Buick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
very nice thinking of painting my grab handles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You did such a good job, I had to run out to my FJ to see what parts you painted. Painted black is the way it should look stock.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys it does look a lot better black. Next will be the mirrors and bumper wings.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Nice Job

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow, looks awesome! :rocker: I really like the black instead of silver inside. I am interested to know how well this paint will hold up against everyday wear and tear on the inside, mainly on the shifter cover. Great job!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Looks good. What, if any, prep did you do to the dash pieces before painting?

"Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one!"

Used to pass the brewery every day over the Willie B. bridge going and coming from NYC!

Mike

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as prep I just rubbed them up a little with a scotch brite pad and applied a couple of coats of Dupli-Color adhesion promoter. Steve I plan on doing the shift lever cover when I remove the center consol to add some 12 volt outlets.

·
Premium Member
16,657 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
61 Posts
:bigthumb:Nice! I have blacked out alot on the outside, but hadn't thought of the inside. I really like what you have done. Maybe when I get time...

·
Banned
463 Posts
I love the blacked out look but I've been too busy working on other mods to really concentrate on blacking out the inside of my SunFu. The only thing I want to do that I'm not sure how I'll accomplish is the steering wheel parts. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm skipping the steering wheel because I've scratched the silver plastic up pretty good and if I paint it I'm sure I'll chip the paint off fairly quickly. I know someone else on this forum did paint theirs I think they just taped everything off and did it in place.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Very nice. Great job!!!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Looks sweet, great job. It's on my to do list.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Hm...how is the textured on the inside matching the other stuff? I want to do this but the textured rustoleum I used on my bumpers and what not is "rough" and wouldn't feel good to to the touch, even more so if you used it on grab handles... I don't see how you can tape everything off around the steering wheel and properly paint that silver area without over-dosing it in paint....if I remember the guy who did that had it professionally done, I would bet money that they took the steering wheel out...thats what most body shops would do. Either way, looks great from pics, but I'd have to see it in person to see how much it REALLY matches the flat smooth black of the stock parts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts