Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a dash camera into the Instrument pod on the dash facing forward?
It would seem to be to me to be a logical a place to mount one.
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
593 Posts
Seems like you’d get too much hood. In front of the rear view mirror offers a less obstructed view

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,316 Posts
Agree. I have one mounted at the top of the screen hidden by the mirror. The image is perfect at that height.
I also think it needs to be up against the glass. I tried my rear camera mounted to the door rather than the glass (as it kept working loose with opening and closing the glass) but the image set back was terrible!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Agree. I have one mounted at the top of the screen hidden by the mirror. The image is perfect at that height.
I also think it needs to be up against the glass. I tried my rear camera mounted to the door rather than the glass (as it kept working loose with opening and closing the glass) but the image set back was terrible!
Also agree. Try to place it so that the wipers are effective.
I ended up attaching the rear to the rear dome light. The view is good enough and no door action.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if you assume that mounting into the Inst pod is a bad idea, that what is the best dash cam to use. I am about to start a cross country trip and want make sure that I can document some f it while i travel in the middle of the winter ( in my FJ) :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
GoPro video quality is really good, even as far back as the GoPro 3+. I’d imagine the latest generation is amazing 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
11,919 Posts
I've been running one from Cobra for ~ 4.5yrs now and it has performed flawlessly.....it's so good it even captured me rearending someone!

GoPro's while cool and all are bulky once mounted and are missing a few key features that make a dash cam a dash cam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been running one from Cobra for ~ 4.5yrs now and it has performed flawlessly.....it's so good it even captured me rearending someone!

GoPro's while cool and all are bulky once mounted and are missing a few key features that make a dash cam a dash cam.
Ouch I'll check it out!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been using this with the rear camera add on for about 5 years now. No issues and you hardly notice it tucked behind the rear view mirror.

One thing I liked is a remote shutter button to save images and video on demand. It fits perfectly over the passenger airbag indicator.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I mounted my Garmin on a piece of plexiglass sandwiched between the rear view mirror and headliner...used washers in the oversized screw holes so when I tightened down the mirror, it wouldn't crack the plexiglass. Then I ran the usb cable over the headliner down the drivers side A pillar through the dash and over to the factory USB port for power.

Last picture is me reviewing a 4 hour drive back from Vermont to see what the video was like...obviously that's a picture of my laptop screen but I caught a Huracán on vídeo!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am loving that Plexiglass idea VDoubleUVR6 how long have you had that in place and how is it holding up?

I have been running a YI dashcam for a few years and it takes great video even at night. Only annoyance is that if I want to grab video straight off the camera it connects to my phone via a wireless signal and takes 4 to 5 minutes to transfer a 5 minute video. Have been thinking of grabbing a second one camera to mount in the rear for more coverage if something were to happen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am loving that Plexiglass idea VDoubleUVR6 how long have you had that in place and how is it holding up?

I have been running a YI dashcam for a few years and it takes great video even at night. Only annoyance is that if I want to grab video straight off the camera it connects to my phone via a wireless signal and takes 4 to 5 minutes to transfer a 5 minute video. Have been thinking of grabbing a second one camera to mount in the rear for more coverage if something were to happen.
Thank you. I did the install last October...5 months so far and so far so good.

I experience the same thing with the Garmin camera when connected via WiFi so I just pull the micro sd card, connected it up with an sd card adapter and pull the video with my laptop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts