Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have front and rear dash cameras in all my cars. recently I was hit in the back and I thought all was ok since rear enders are at fault. Well this other driver went ballistic blaming me. I was stopped at a crosswalk at a school waiting for a pedestrian and she hit me. she made such a racket, I tried to exchange info and she accused me of entering her SAFE SPACE. while she was on the phone with 911 she accused me of assaulting her when I tried to COMMUNICATE with her.she made such a racket her Insurance co decided to hold up the investigation. But I also had a rear facing camera that exposed her erratic driving and high speed impact. so when all is said and done. we are living on another planet these days lots of goombahs out there so be prepared. I have had several cameras but as luck would have it many don't work to good. I am in the midst of a new set that seems to be working out. there Rexing front and rear. so far they are pretty good.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Seems as if there was another post very similar to this one a while back...

Glad you're ok.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have been me. I'm pretty up beat about being safe. I was hit three times from my motorcycle over the last ten years. got lots of aches after several surgeries. Im also a commercial insurance agent so I'm always helping my customer reduce their risks. Gave up my bike and went back to my Banjo its a lot safer...:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have front and rear dash cameras in all my cars. recently I was hit in the back and I thought all was ok since rear enders are at fault. Well this other driver went ballistic blaming me. I was stopped at a crosswalk at a school waiting for a pedestrian and she hit me...
Sucky experience, glad to hear you’re ok 👍🏼

I’ve been thinking about the setting up a rear-facing camera for that very reason. Yours seems to be working out well, where did you place it?

Dan

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stick it in the top center of rear window does not really block the view be mindful of defrosting wires if you have any

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Weird, I just went to the Rexing web site to look at their products, I have never seen a website for electronic gear which had NO information at all on it. Just a photo of the thing, its price and a single paragraph description. No "How to" guides. No access to installation manuals. No testimonials. No images of them installed. No tech support link, or anything like that. Nothing.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the dash cameras I’ve purchased I found the websites lacking also it’s pretty much trial and error can get expensive I agree not having proper info. But the need for a good camera outweighs a lacking site. I got one from Cobra and had the same problem lack of information

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dash Cam saved me for being at fault with my insurance Co. Silver Lexus comes over on me. See it @ 4:25.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
looks to me like they had their turn signal on before you started to accelerate past them, on the right
They should never have tried to turn into a parking lot from the far left lane, but also once someone has put their turn signal on its probably unwise to try and pass them on that side.
:)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turn signal doesn’t justify a crash other driver still must yield.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any recommendations on front and rear facing camera package?

OR

Any recommendations AGAINST a brand/company?

Pat

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could use an old phone But if you want a professional camera system spend some money on a reliable permanent system. Check reviews it’s key to use standardized cabling if you need to replace it. I have used 4 systems and found Rexing to be most reliable. They operate on capacitors since constant charging can cause battery overheating. The cabling used to run to the rear camera should be standardized in case u find the camera system not to your liking so you don’t have to rip it out of the ceiling. Mine uses a mini usb system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a Halo Cam front and rear in my Fj for about 5 years now. One feature I really like is that it comes with a remote button to take screen shots on demand. That button just happens to perfectly cover the airbag light to the right of the radio. It also remotes to any android device. I use it for a rear view on my tablet when towing my hunting trailer. https://www.amazon.com/C1-HaloCam-Recorder-Dashboard-Recording/dp/B072BLTJP4

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
My dashcam saved me several times it's price in my FJ. I was driving through a parking lot and a woman pulled out from a space alongside a large pickup and t-boned me. She hit the slider on the drivers side so no body damage. But, she claimed I pulled out in front of her. Police showed up, video clearly showed her pulling out - quickly - from behind the pickup, it was all on her. Second time I was driving up the interstate in January and a woman who didn't bother clearing the ice off the roof of her vehicle was in the right lane. She started to slow for a car coming on the on ramp and the ice let go, flew through the air and smashed my grill, scraped up the hood and almost took out the windshield. She kept going, but I had her license number and the whole event on video. State police found her near the Canadian border and she got a ticket - illegal in our state not to clear the ice and snow. My insurance company tried to tell me I had a $500 deductible as part of my collision coverage. My local agent told me no, he said that if the ice hit me before it hit the road then comprehensive covered it. If it hit the road then hit me then it's collision. The adjuster for the insurance company kept arguing that it was a collision so I emailed her the video. I got an email back in about 5 minutes....it's comprehesive - $0 deductible. The cameras are worth their weight in gold - unless you drive like a moron.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
"The cameras are worth their weight in gold - unless you drive like a moron." - good point, I'd catch all of my a-hole behavior on film. Gonna have to rethink the strategy. :p

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With as many nutbars " driving" Its almost a must to have good video. the person that hits you allays blames you. Its also a good plan to check the video once a week and make certain its recording. I have had cameras look like their working with blinking lights and all but found out they weren't. what's funny is when I stop at a red light and look over to the next drivers they are all looking at their laps...Must be praying right?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I put a dash cam in pretty early on. There's a lot of people out there swerving and texting. Turn signals on for 6 weeks before they turn....saw a person take a right from the left turn only lane last week. I've got the rear window powered, wonder if there's a camera I can wire in and mount on the roof rack....? Off to the INTERNETS!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts