281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
:rocker: The thread that keeps on giving! Fa-la-la-la-la... la-la-la-laaa

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,935 Posts
Many of our modifications require the removal of various dashboard and console panels and/or trim pieces. So, here's a how-to for accessing the "behind the scenes" components of the FJ's interior, including:

A-pillar cover (interior)
Sun visors
Glove box (passenger side)
Side vent covers
Center dash trim pieces
Center dash / radio module face plate
Center console (upper)
Center console (lower)
Shift lever cover plate (AT)
Switch panel module
Front door panels (driver and passenger)
(shown in Post #34)
Driver side dash-top storage box (shown in Post #34)

(Please pardon my dirt and dust in my FJ's interior. :eek: )

A-pillar cover (interior):

Remove plastic tabs from grab handle.

A 10mm socket removes the grab handle.

Peel the cover out and down from the top (it snaps off).

Pull the cover up and away from the A-pillar.

Sun visors:

Two Phillips screws secure the sun visor to the interior roof.

The hold-up clip is removed by pushing it in and twisting it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Glove box (passenger side):

Open glove box.

Push in on upper rear plastic wings (both sides) to allow glove box to fall forward.

Unsnap retaining rod (to the right).

Lift glove box up and out of its lower snap-on hinge.

Side vent covers:

Lift and unsnap vent cover from the bottom.

Pull the top of the vent cover up and out.

NOTE FOR 2008 and newer FJ Owners:

Center dash side trim pieces:

Remove Phillips screw at the base of the trim piece.

Pull up and out (unsnap) the trim piece from the bottom,

Center dash / radio module face:

Remove Phillips screw on each side.

Pull (unsnap) face plate from the bottom.

Then pull straight out from the top.

Unplug the three multi-pin plugs from the lower section of the face plate.

Continued in next post . . .
Old @ss thread I know but I was really digging the 25 in your garage Steve, sweet and might I say very rare FJ!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can anyone help me out to take the rear side part off? want to paint it to much the rest of my interior.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I just ordered one of those double USB plugs that fit in one of the blank switch positions on the switch panel.

I understand from reading this thread that to remove the switch panel I have to remove the center console (PITA for me as I have a Tuffy box installed - but still doable). If all I want to do is pop out a blank cover, insert/fish the wires for the USB "switch" then install the USB panel which looks like it snaps in place, do I have to remove the switch panel? Or, is there a way to remove a blank switch cover with the whole panel still in place?

Thanks

Great thread, there's a ton of outstanding info here!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I popped them out from the back and they came out easily as I remember....so I would think that if you attached some 3M type auto tape to the blank switch and pulled, it should come out.
I don't have any blanks in place to test this myself.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered one of those double USB plugs that fit in one of the blank switch positions on the switch panel.

I understand from reading this thread that to remove the switch panel I have to remove the center console (PITA for me as I have a Tuffy box installed - but still doable). If all I want to do is pop out a blank cover, insert/fish the wires for the USB "switch" then install the USB panel which looks like it snaps in place, do I have to remove the switch panel? Or, is there a way to remove a blank switch cover with the whole panel still in place?

Thanks

Great thread, there's a ton of outstanding info here!
You can pop out one of the blank plugs without removing the control panel. If you can't get it with your fingers use a small screwdriver or something similar to pry it out.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
DASH, CONSOLE & DOOR PANELS REMOVAL: Instructions w/ pics

If all I want to do is pop out a blank cover, insert/fish the wires for the USB "switch" then install the USB panel which looks like it snaps in place, do I have to remove the switch panel?[\QUOTE]

I just did this today to see what a couple of switches will look like. Will remove panel to wire. Small screwdriver will pop the blanks. Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how will you wire that thing in through the tiny switch opening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
If all I want to do is pop out a blank cover, insert/fish the wires for the USB "switch" then install the USB panel which looks like it snaps in place, do I have to remove the switch panel?

Ugh. App is killing me. Let's try this again with the quote working this time?

I just did this today to see what a couple of switches will look like. Will remove panel to wire. Small screwdriver will pop the blanks. Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how will you wire that thing in through the tiny switch opening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

281 - 300 of 319 Posts