Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Ugh. App is killing me. Let's try this again with the quote working this time?

I just did this today to see what a couple of switches will look like. Will remove panel to wire. Small screwdriver will pop the blanks. Forgive me if I'm missing something, but how will you wire that thing in through the tiny switch opening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Figured I'd snake the wires through until they come out the back of the panel.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Ah, gotcha. You have more patience than me!

I don't think it would be too bad - it's only 10 inches or so and it looks like everything is open in the back. I have an electrician's wire snake (or whatever it's called) and I figure I'll put it in from the front, tie a string to it and slowly/carefully pull the string out the opening. Attach the string to the wires on the USB adapter and slowly pull the string and wires back through. I hope.....

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
DASH, CONSOLE & DOOR PANELS REMOVAL: Instructions w/ pics

I don't think it would be too bad - it's only 10 inches or so and it looks like everything is open in the back. I have an electrician's wire snake (or whatever it's called) and I figure I'll put it in from the front, tie a string to it and slowly/carefully pull the string out the opening. Attach the string to the wires on the USB adapter and slowly pull the string and wires back through. I hope.....

That makes a lot sense! I know with my luck I'd end up dropping something in there and have to tear the whole thing apart anyway...an a-pillar installation went sideways once - I was lucky it was a bolt and I had a long magnet "grabber" deal :)

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
OK....I didn't pay attention in FJ school......:mecry:

I pulled everything apart today. Taking the console out and opening up the the switch panel was really easier, far easier than I envisioned.

However, I didn't pay attention in school...I didn't tape up the end of the transfer case lever as instructed so I've got scratches on my switch panel :flame:.
Anyone have any good methods of making the scratches disappear?

I got the USB plug installed with only minor drama. While I was at it I installed a 12v powerpoint on the right side of the console.

Got it all buttoned up and tried the USB plug out. Apparently they just can't get good slave labor in China anymore. When I plugged a USB plug into it the whole female portion of the plug pushed back and disappeared into the assembly. I tried the second one...same thing. Whoever put it together didn't glue the back of the assembly on so the two circuit boards/plugs pushed out the back of the assembly. I tore it all apart again, took out the USB plug assembly, put it together the correct way and superglued it together. Put it all back together and now it works great...except as other people have mentioned the eerie blue glow from the LEDs in it. I have to admit, it did fit rather nicely and matches the rest of the switches on the panel. For $4 it worked for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is anyone aware of a an after market parking brake boot for the FJ to cover
the holes that I keep losing stuff in?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome thread! It really helped lift the fog of how to get things installed inside the FJ!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the crawl feature console located on the ceiling of the FJ so i can get to the map lights? Pictures on how to would be great.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the crawl feature console located on the ceiling of the FJ so i can get to the map lights? Pictures on how to would be great.
The third post has a picture.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/186545-removing-headliner-2013-crawl-control.html

I couldn't do it with my fingers. I used a 3/4" wood chisel. Inserted chisel from the front and rear and twisted to pop the plastic pins out.

Initially tried from the side but it looked/felt like something might break.

The pins don't pop in/out easily.

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
So Steve...are you still around.

If so I would be ready to pay you 1500 bucks or so to do a video or picture tutorial on removing the whole dash to get at the mixing box for the FJ.

They want 2300 Canadian so that's about 1500 American isn't it (tee hee).

But seriously I would do that and then everyone would get the benefit of the work done.

Thanks for considering this.

Jer

·
Banned
5 Posts
The silver-colored vent cover on the passenger side of the '08 FJ does not pull out until you remove a 10mm bolt that is accessible t audacity temp mail origin hrough one of the round plugs on the side of the vent cover. You remove the plug, and then you need a socket with an extension to reach in there. The driver's side vent cover does not have this bolt, it is removable by hand.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts