Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Re: DASH AND CONSOLE PANELS REMOVAL: Instructions w/ pics

Good stuff, Steve. I have one caution for these side vent pieces.
Be careful to pull straight out from the dash. I let mine slip once and it clipped the articulating mechanism that open/closes the vent, breaking off the little pin that sticks out (seen in pic #3 below). And now I cannot "close" my vent on the driver side.

Many of our modifications require the removal of various dashboard and console panels and/or trim pieces. So, here's a how-to for accessing the "behind the scenes" components of the FJ's interior, including:

Side vent covers:

Lift and unsnap vent cover from the bottom.

Pull the top of the vent cover up and out.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

Very nice.. Paste's into a word document very nicely. Thanks Ron

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

very cool!
thanks!
I needed that! Thanks!
Helpfull write up with great pics, Thanks
Steve what a great Thread!...Thank you for such complete "How-To" instructions, but I would expect nothing lees from you buddy, great job! :cheers:
Thanks Steve.:clap:
This is great!!! Thank you for taking the time out and doing this. I could have used this for a few mods. :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::cheers:
fantastic!!!
thanks!!!!!!!!!
You da man - thanks for taking the time to shoot these and post. People like you make the MOD community great! :rocker::rocker::rocker:
Many many thanks!
A fantastic thread... I haven't had to go there yet, but the next few mods will require some switch installations. Thank you so much.
Very nice.. Paste's into a word document very nicely. Thanks Ron

You're all welcome. And, thank you for the compliments. :) :)

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Very nice Steve. Only comment is I do believe on the passenger side vent cover you have a Phillips screw at the bottom that most be removed before cover can be removed. The drivers side is just clips and can be pulled out like you said.
Good point, jeshua. I forgot about that little screw. Thanks. :)

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Thos e are amazing pics with a great write up. Now I can hide wires like a pro.
Thanks, Cosmic. :) Hopefully it will help others to hide their "spaghetti factory" dangling across the dashboard. :D (Of course, I won't mention any names.) :lol: :lol:

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Very clear and easy to follow! Thanks a bunch. BTW, what is the switch to the far right on your switch panel for???
:bigthumb:
Passenger Seat Eject. ("Q" moved it over from my Aston Martin.)

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

You may want to put the Tcase handle back on the lever to avoid scratching the face of the switch panel.
Good advice, Joe. That or a towel wrapped around the shaft. Yes, it will scratch things up pretty easily. :worried:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Excellent post Steve. Living up to the standards you've set with your other posts! Tech! Tech!

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

I was wondering if you know if the a pillar is done differently or can be done at all if you have the side curtain air bags?
Yes. Matter of fact, mine does have side air bags. They're actually tucked up under the headliner over the doors, and that's the air bag retaining tether (white strap) you see attached to the A-Pillar behind the grab handle bracket.

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Be careful to pull straight out from the dash. I let mine slip once and it clipped the articulating mechanism that open/closes the vent, breaking off the little pin that sticks out
Another good point, Rick. :bigthumb:

Initially pulling the vent cover from the bottom is done to unlatch the lower snap connector. But, once it's "broken" free with a very slight range of travel, then pull the entire vent out as straight as possible.

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts

Steve great info!!!!!! I am learning all about how not to break the little tabs off of mine!!!!!!!!

PS You are a great guy!!!! I love the pics that show your old FJ in the back!!!!! Do you actually wheel in it anymore?

·
Registered
450 Posts

That is great! Thank you!!

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)

Continued from Post #2:

Front door panel (driver and passenger)
Driver side dash-top storage box
Front door accent panels
Rear door panel

Front door panel (passenger side shown):

Pop open the plastic cover tabs and remove the two Phillips head screws beside the door release handle and below the door pull handle.

Remove the plastic snap retaining plug from the forward section of the door panel. (In the same manner as described for the switch panel removal.)

Pull (unsnap) the door panel by pulling out on the forward lower corner.

Pull (unsnap) the door panel by pulling out on the rearward lower corner.

Pull the entire door panel up approximately an inch to clear the window jam ledge.

Driver side dash-top storage box:

Remove the two Phillips head screws inside of the storage box (front and left).

Grasp the lid where it meets the hinges at the rear of the box, and pull upward until it unsnaps. (Note: This will require one hand on each side and some substantial effort to pull it up and out.)

Slide the box slightly aft until the front retaining lips clear the dashboard.

Interior door accent panels (driver side door shown):

After the removing the plastic door panel from the door . . . .

. . . . flip it around to the inside where you'll see three Phillips head screws (indicated by the red arrows).

Remove the three screws and push through the 8 plastic retaining clips.

The accent panel can now be pulled off the face of the door panel.

(Photos and procedure courtesy of NDA431FJ. :) )

Rear door panel:

Open both the rear door and window. You won't be able to pull the panel off unless the window is open.

There are two circular access covers at the top corners that can be removed with a small screwdriver w/ a rag over it used to pry it up from the bottom. There are also two covers at the base of the shocks that hold the window open. Those can be removed using the same technique. Remove the two screws that were under the covers you first removed.

The entire panel is held on from here on using plastic push clips. Pick a corner (I started at the upper right) and slowly inch your way around the perimeter pulling back towards yourself. There is one clip that is almost dead center in the panel. There are felt washers on the lower push clips, so take your time as to not break anything or lose those washers.

You are going to have to lift the panel up because it is resting on the window latch mechanism. Put the panel on a large towel or some surface that won't scratch the soft plastic as you work on it.

Rear door panel re-installation:

Attach the panel by first placing the top over the latch mechanism then work around the edges getting all of the clips to snap in their holes then hit the few center portions to get the center clips. Screw the two screws in, reattach the window shock covers, and reattach the screw covers (there is an orientation arrow on the back of them).

(Photos and procedure courtesy of EschObfus and his great write-up thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ch/64486-rear-door-storage-panel-removal.html :bigthumb: )

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts

Thanks Steve, this is great.

I was just wondering how I was going to do that...

:bigthumb:

·
Banned
2,051 Posts

Great write up.

We can't wait until you show pulling off the plastic on the suicide doors, the rear gate, and the head liner!

Keep up the fantastic work.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

Too Cool.. I needed that one too.. That one has been puzzling me. Let me see if I understand.. Thanks Ron

Glove/orher box

Open lid>>grasp lid at hinge and firmly pull up and toward the wheel>>when it pops loose, push slightly away from the wheel to clear tabs on front>>>life out..

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Thanks Steve, this is great.
You're welcome, and thanks!! :)

Too Cool.. I needed that one too.. That one has been puzzling me. Let me see if I understand.. Thanks Ron
Glove/orher box
Open lid>>grasp lid at hinge and firmly pull up and toward the wheel>>when it pops loose, push slightly away from the wheel to clear tabs on front>>>life out..
You got it!! :bigthumb:

Great write up.
We can't wait until you show pulling off the plastic on the suicide doors
I'd rather just pull off the worthless suicide doors . . . period. :lol:

Steve great info!!!!!!
You are a great guy!!!! I love the pics that show your old FJ in the back!!!!! Do you actually wheel in it anymore?
Thanks, Kim. :) :)

And, if you look closely, you'll see two old FJ's in the garage. The green one ('78) loves the dirt, but the maroon-colored FJ-25 ('59) is becoming the last of its kind, so it's spending its golden years as a trailer queen and a show piece. :D

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

BTW, what is the switch to the far right on your switch panel for???
Well, since you didn't buy into the "Passenger Eject Seat" button, it's a switch for my exterior back-up lights (which have yet to be mounted).

21 - 40 of 323 Posts