Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
41 - 60 of 323 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Hey buddy I did miss the second one! Old eyes I guess!!! I knew you had 3! Wow those are beauties............ I don't know too many gals that appreciate the beauty of those girls unless they are already forum members here!

BTW do you have any pics of taking the door handles off? I have Nate's old handles (he did the Tundra handle mod) and I have them painted out black and wanted to see some of your photos (if available) for taking them off. The star fitting in the door is not the problem. I am worried about dropping the lock mech insided the door panel.

Kim

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Thanks for the excellent write up and pics for removal! Looks like I can move forward with the switches and wiring! Well at least the wiring, you have instruction on the switch plate removal and install?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a question, What is the socket which is behind the A-pillar? I couldn't find the usage of it in the Toyota repair manual.

Anyone have an idea?

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's very magnanimous of you and you've already done more then a lot for the rest of us. I'm in absolutely no hurry or rush. I'm one of those folks that store/stockpile things for a rainy day. Currently I have PIAA 525's, predator steps, oil, filters, gps and lots of other small things to add/install. I've even got a "hi-zoot" billet oil cap and SS (shiny) exhaust tip.. All that highly technical stuff:lol: Ron

PS: I really want to wire the GPS inside the glove/other box!

I'm doing a "BOX" install this weekend, but I'll see what I can do. :)

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That's very magnanimous of you and you've already done more then a lot for the rest of us.
No problem at all. I'm sure one of my mods will eventually take me into one of those places, so I might as well delve on in there. :)

I really want to wire the GPS inside the glove/other box!
That shouldn't be too difficult of a task, considering the access you'll have into the dashboard from above. Which GPS unit is it?? I'm assuming you'll be installing a rooftop antenna for it?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have a little $189 Garmin Quest and I love it. I'm one of those "old school map" people and didn't think I would ever own one. I bought one for last summers 5K roadtrip and I'm hooked. I just stick it on the windshield (Jeep Rubicon) and went. Now that I have the FJ, I'm not sure what I'll do exactly. Ron

PS; When I learned that I could plot/plan the entire 5K roadtrip using the roads I selected on my workstation and download the entire route.. that was it..

No problem at all. I'm sure one of my mods will eventually take me into one of those places, so I might as well delve on in there. :)

That shouldn't be too difficult of a task, considering the access you'll have into the dashboard from above. Which GPS unit is it?? I'm assuming you'll be installing a rooftop antenna for it?

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I have a little $189 Garmin Quest and I love it.
If you already have Garmin's suction-cup mount for the Quest, that could probably be easily converted into a flip-up mount that would fold down into your storage box when not in use. And, you could leave your power and antenna cabling connected all the time.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's what I'm thinking as well. I believe one could come up with something that would preserve the glove/other box. I have access to a research machine shop and top notch machinists. Ron

If you already have Garmin's suction-cup mount for the Quest, that could probably be easily converted into a flip-up mount that would fold down into your storage box when not in use. And, you could leave your power and antenna cabling connected all the time.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Re: DASH AND CONSOLE PANELS REMOVAL: Instructions w/ pics

Well, since you didn't buy into the "Passenger Eject Seat" button, it's a switch for my exterior back-up lights (which have yet to be mounted).

Lol, a "bad girlfriend seat eject" would have been more convincing. I look forward to your mods.:bigthumb:

I'm still pondering whether to lift or level? Like veryone else my coin flow isn't where I'd like it to be at the moment.:boohoo:

·
Registered
227 Posts
How about doing one of these for the OUTER A-pillar trim? I know I've seen (mainly read actually) others, but none as chock-full-o-pics as your write-ups are.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Steve, do you have any pics/procedures for removing the exterior side of the A-pillar? Also, if we have the airbags in the A-pillar, is there anything else I need to worry about before unbolting anything that holds the exterior? Thanks!
:clap:
C

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
How about doing one of these for the OUTER A-pillar trim?
Steve, do you have any pics/procedures for removing the exterior side of the A-pillar?
No. I haven't had a need to pull off the exterior A-pillar panel yet. But, from what I understand, it's simply a snap-off piece that frequently has a tendency to have its mounting clips break upon removal. (So you may want to buy a few extra clips in advance.)

Just to let you know, the edges of the exterior panel are pretty flexible if you're merely considering tucking some wires down the side while gently prying up the edges as you go. (That's how I ran both my XM radio and GPS antenna cables down from the roof.)

If anyone else has pulled theirs off and have some pics of the panel removal process, please post them up. Thanks.

Also, if we have the airbags in the A-pillar, is there anything else I need to worry about before unbolting anything that holds the exterior?
As mentioned in a previous post, the actual side curtain airbags sit up within the headliner above the front doors (not inside the A-pillar itself) and only the retaining tether strap connects down below on the mid-section of the A-pillar (inside).

In the course of installing my post-mounted spotlights (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ht-post-mounted-installation-w-lots-pics.html), I temporarily unbolted the end of the tether straps . . . . just to get them out of the way during drilling. So, you won't have anything to worry about as far as removing either the interior or the exterior A-pillar covers and any interference with the side airbag system.

41 - 60 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.