Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come across a problem with the dash illumination in my new to me '08. The dash lighting is fine with the headlights on.The dash, compass/inclinometer pod, and radio all illuminate and can be dimmed with the control correctly. When the headlights are off however, no illumination at all. Any ideas?

·
A-Team Moderator
9,048 Posts
OFF is OFF and the only thing ON should be the DRL's, if they're still connected. If you need these things LIT in the daytime for whatever reason, you need to turn on the parking lights.

The FJ is not like other modern cars where the dash lights and DRLs are ON at the same time. Hence the onslaught of drivers at night with no taillights ON.

The dimmer control wheel is called a Rheostat.

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
So I've come across a problem with the dash illumination in my new to me '08. The dash lighting is fine with the headlights on.The dash, compass/inclinometer pod, and radio all illuminate and can be dimmed with the control correctly. When the headlights are off however, no illumination at all. Any ideas?
That's how it works, no problem. I turned my headlights on the day I bought the FJ and 13 years later......still on. The auto shut off is a nice little feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well dang, my tired old eyes are having a hard time seeing the gauges. Even with the lights on and the rheostat cranked up. Probably won't be much of an excuse to try and get out of a speeding ticket LOL. I knew going into it the FJ was gonna be a bit more spartan than my Tundra, but dang, it sure would be nice to see my speedo during the day.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well dang, my tired old eyes are having a hard time seeing the gauges. Even with the lights on and the rheostat cranked up. Probably won't be much of an excuse to try and get out of a speeding ticket LOL. I knew going into it the FJ was gonna be a bit more spartan than my Tundra, but dang, it sure would be nice to see my speedo during the day.
does the tundra have very bright gauges during the day, compared to the FJ?

I have been in many Toyoyas and none of them really stood out as being overly bright

What year Tundra?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bright enough that I never had a problem seeing them day or night. I won't say overly bright, but definitely bright enough to do the job.

'07, first year of the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Bright enough that I never had a problem seeing them day or night. I won't say overly bright, but definitely bright enough to do the job.

'07, first year of the 2nd gen.
thanks!

I will take a look at a 07-09 next week, when I head up to a friends ranch. His is one of the earlier tundras with thev6. Its got like 700k miles. Will compare to my Fj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heck, at the end of the day,if this is the most annoying issue I find with the FJ, color me happy!:clap::clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts