Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me apologize first off because I am sure this has been discussed here before but for the life of me I cannot find it using the search.....

I am looking to tap the dash light circuit to power the top lights on my OTRATTW switches. I only want the larger top light on when the dash lights/headlights are on. Can anyone give me a little help on finding that circuit or what would be another way of getting those lights on only when the lights are on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did my front locker OTRATTW switch just like that, but it's been so many years ago that I don't remember where I tapped in to, sorry! As I recall, it wasn't hard to find one on an adjoining factory switch though.
The "Rear Diff" and the "A-Trac" switches are backlit and right there but those factory wires are so small and flimsy I don't want to fool with them too much plus I don't want to cut the factory wires to find out which of those little bitty things is for the back light.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The "Rear Diff" and the "A-Trac" switches are backlit and right there but those factory wires are so small and flimsy I don't want to fool with them too much plus I don't want to cut the factory wires to find out which of those little bitty things is for the back light.
Got the following from the instructions for mounting aux driviing lights,

Locate the Green and White-Green wires at
the rear of the grey connector on the back of the RR Diff Lock switch.

Apply T-taps to the Green wire and
White-Green wires.

The Green and Green-White wires are used to back light the switch and controlled by the thumb wheel on the dash. Not sure which one is the power and ground.

Hope this helps. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apply T-taps to the Green wire and
White-Green wires.
Those wires are so small....do you think that would be a good idea?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is the way I went when I installed my fog light with the oem switch. I know the wires are small gauge but the T-taps will work. The ones I used were for 14-18 gauge wire. You will have enough room to expose the wires from the RR Diff switch and attach the taps. Go at a steady pace and make sure the taps make contact with the wire you are attaching it to. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Those wires are so small....do you think that would be a good idea?
There is an infinitesimal current draw from an indicator light in a switch, so the size of the wire is pretty irrelevant. Use an appropriately-sized T-tap for the wire gauge and it will work fine and all will be well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worked great guys! Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
536 Posts
so when I did this I the dimmer does the opposite of what it should.... any ideas?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I realized that the FJ controls everything through the ground side. So I hooked the grounds to the GRN-WHT/ GRN wires. Presto!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts