Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home the other night, my TRD intake tube becamoe dislodge causing every light under the sun to light up my dash. Pulled over, checked what was wrong and since I was under a mile to my house and tools, I drove home and fixed it. I thought that would be the end of the problem, but the lights are still on (CEL, VSC, and 1-2 others).

Is there anyway to reset the ECU so I don't have to go to the dealer? I assume I can disconnect the battery, but that would mean resetting the chime off etc which is isn't bad, but sometimes a PITA. LOL

Will it reset itself after 100 or so miles?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Actually you won't have to get the codes reset, but that's the quick way to do it. This exact issue happened to me and the lights went off after about 30 or 40 miles after reconnecting my CAI. The MAF will realize that all is normal again and the lights will go off after x amount of miles. As I stated, x amount for me was around 30 or 40.

Edit: after thinking about this I thought I should clarify. My 30 to 40 miles was accumulated over 3 days of driving to work (long commute I know) so it's conceivable that it wasn't just the miles but also the number of starts where the MAF sent an "All's well" signal to the ECU upon start up. Just throwing that out... I really don't have a firm grasp of auto electronics, sensors and computers.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I have had the same code 3 times, it is a moisture issue. The shifter position sensor on the trans. Every time, next morning all the lights go off. It effects all the traction control features and turns them all off and the dash lights all come on. Computers, gotta love em.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Another way to do-it-yourself is to get a ScanguageII, you can reset all engine check lights ( no more trips to the dealership) and you get much more.

ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool
I was trying to get away with not spending more money on mods! I knew the scangauge can do it....but still trying to save for a house and other mods etc. Plus, I don't really wanna know my exact gas mileage until I fill up. LOL

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I drove it for about 20 miles already so we shall see what happens. I'll give it another 50 or so.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I had the same problem the other day, opened the hood and the tube had popped off of the coupling that attaches to the box. I cleared the code with my scan guage II, had a P0101, MAF error.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Like you said in the OP you can also disconnect the battery and that will reset the ECU. But will have to redo all changes made to factory setting like radio and seatbelt chime etc....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try to remove your gas cap and then put it on really tight. Then let your ECU cycle for 3-4 small trips around town and you shoud be golden.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your gas cap doesnt have anything to do with the light resetting. After 3 drive cycles of not having an error the light will go off. After the light goes off the code is still stored under "past codes"; after 40 drive cycles then the code will erased from memory. Others have mentioned disconneting the battery but thats really equivilant to pulling the plug on your PC, not a good idea, you might not have anyproblems at first but I wouldnt recomend doing this out of habit. If nothing else got to your favorite parts store and see if they will clear it for you.

PS i forgot to mention a drive cycle = starting, reaching operation temp, driving, and the cool down.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
The ECU will sometimes reset a code after 'no faults' are detected after ~3 complete drive cycles (typically), depending on what type of code is set (non-critical). A complete drive cycle is a cold start, and so many minutes of driving at a certain speed and normal engine temp and then a complete cool down. Number of miles driven is irrelevant. And as others have stated, most codes will stay in background memory for a while but will go away eventually unless Toyota wants a particular code kept in memory so it can be retrieved when the vehicle is serviced.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. It cleared itself so I am good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts