Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy folks, Here is how you install the pod gauges onto your dash without spending a fortune on labor or the hassle from the dealership.

First off if you don't already have the parts here is what you need

83179-35020 Meter Cover
82142-35070 Wire Harness
83290-35081 Meter Assembly
83297-35050 Bracket
90080-17191 Nut (2 required)
90467-07138-B2 Clip (2 required)(optional will explain further down)

I ordered mine from an online dealership and with shipping for me up to Canada i payed just under $460 for everything above, PM me if you want to know which dealer it was

Ok once you have all that, and your tools of course you are ready

Step One: Remove the trim pieces around the colored information panel where the radio and temperature controls are x2 Philips screws. Then remove the two Philips screws on the information panel shown in the pic.

Step Two: Remove the three wire connectors from the above piece

Step Three: Remove the radio by unscrewing the bolts shown in the picture there are four in total. Unplug the wire connectors and antenna, plugs vary on your sound options.

Step Four: Open up the glove box and pinch the sides of it to release it from its home position. On the passenger side of the box is the piston, pinch the split piece and pull the piston rod towards the passenger side door.

Now find the screw near the glove box latch and remove it

Step Five: Gently remove the upper glove box piece which had been screwed on to reveal three connectors you want to leave the yellow and white one alone for this project. Remove only the stock blue connector.

Step Six: reach behind the clock and disconnect the clock wire connector, here is what it looks like

Step Seven: Pull the harness out of your new parts box and find the blue connector on it follow it along until you get to the clock & gauge connector. I decided to remove all the other stuff and just have what i needed, if you'd like you can just stuff it all in behind the radio and just run the blue connector to last steps location, don't worry its a somewhat clear path to that plug. Here is what i had after i "modified" the new harness

Step Eight: Tape up the dash where the pod will sit, I used blue painters tape so i could draw out what i planned on cutting and drilling, and keeps scratches and damage to a minimum. I fully measure the dash along the ridge just forward or the top dash "pipe" and found the middle, drew out a sketch of the bracket and mounting holes, the big hole needed for the pod's wire harness was 3 3/8" x 4 1/4".

I made a bit of a mistake with my clip holes and they weren't centered so i didn't bother using the clips at the end, which is why i said they are optional at the start, you don't "need" them but its up to you, the two nuts and the anchors on the underbelly of the pod are sufficient.

Step Nine: The long hard part...after measuring three times and double checking things i made the cut, you can just use a utility knife remember to only cut the 3 3/8" x 4 1/4" hole, then drill out the mounting holes with a 1/4" drill bit, be careful not to drill too deep your vents are right under the holes you need to make, just enough to break through. When you are done it should look something like this.

Step Ten: Take the mounting bracket and get it under the dash, this part is tricky you kind of have to angle and fineness it over the vent tubes and over existing wires, once its there push the studs through, when doing this the rounded edges on the bracket should be facing the front of the truck. No pic on the one folks, its hard to see when its in position so i figured wasn't worth trying.

Step Eleven: Once the bracket is in place and your "big" hole is cut, look under the gauge pod and find the two hook anchors on the back of it, these slide under the dash when you place the pod on the dash, push the bracket studs through the mounting holes on the pod and use the two flange nuts that came with your parts. If you opted for drilling the clip holes place them in the holes and screw the top piece down to flange out the clip bottom.
This was my test fit

Step Twelve: When you have the pod secured down, plug the connector into it, plug the new clock connector in and put everything (radio, glove box, etc...) back into place.

Step Thirteen: Place the hood onto the pod, reset your clock, radio stations, and follow the instructions in the owners manual for setting your compass to your region.

VOILA you are done :bigthumb:

just to give you an idea how much of the harness you DON'T need here is a picture of what i have after i took what IS needed.

Step Fourteen: Enjoy your new Pod gauge cluster.

I would like to thank all the folks on this forum that helped me with info, steps to follow and pictures, prior to my install :bigthumb: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
just curious as to where the "extra" wires came from. the pink, purple, green, and blue wires are to the front speakers (plug behind the first plug in the dash) is that part of the OEM harness that is "extra" because the wires are already in the dash?

looks great and great writeup

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
One hell of a write up. Saving link for sure.

So everything on it works perfect? Even the temp gauge?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it works, you just have to set it to your area, its in the owners manual

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just curious as to where the "extra" wires came from. the pink, purple, green, and blue wires are to the front speakers (plug behind the first plug in the dash) is that part of the OEM harness that is "extra" because the wires are already in the dash?

the extra ones, came off the the harness that you have to get, all of the stock ones are still in there correct places :)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yep temp gauge and incline meter worked as soon as i gave it power :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
WOW, I am definitely doing this one!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
:rocker::lol::clap::cheers::wave::king::jester::)

EXCELLENT Write up!

I think you have inspired others to do this very simple upgrade, I'm glad it worked out for you!

Now what's the temperature for a Canadian Spring?

:)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rocker::lol::clap::cheers::wave::king::jester::)

EXCELLENT Write up!

I think you have inspired others to do this very simple upgrade, I'm glad it worked out for you!

Now what's the temperature for a Canadian Spring?

:)

well today according to the gauge its 10'C at 10:30ish at night :p

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Did this a couple of weeks ago as well. The toughest part, was cutting the dashboard. not a lot of workspace. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel.
Great write-up!!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
What a great writeup! If I didn't have the cluster (Our first FJ didn't), I'd be installing it now. Good job!!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really good explanation , I will install mine next week just waiting for the harness wish me luck , any other advice???

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
where can I find these gauges without going through the dealership?

·
Registered
254 Posts

You can save the write ups to a file in a format that you can open with a browser off line. For IE got to Page, click on Save As then select where you want it and they type of file to Save As, .mht or .htm or .html I've got dozens of pages saved this way I can load to my laptop and take it out to the FJ when I'm working to use the pages as a guide.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts