Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the driver side dash pannel right below the ac vent?

Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
If your are talking about the silver panel on the far left, just give it a gentle tug. Pull from the bottom and the top at the same time and it will slide out. There are no bolts or screws, just clips.

The first time I removed mine I thought I was going to break it but it finally came free.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Use a slightly upward motion when pulling it, instead of straight back. The clips that hold it in place are angled upward. Also be careful not to pull too much towards the door because the mechanism that turns the AC vent on/off (rotating knob on end) will crack if you impact the side of the hole as you are pulling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good deal

Thanks you guys

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Forgive me, but I've been searching for hours on how to remove the dash - specifically the dash in front of the driver - but I've had no luck. I've seen that awesome post in the How-To articles from LandCruiserSteve and it rocks, but doesn't go into the detail I need. Can anyone help me?

thanks
baker

·
Registered
184 Posts
Forgive me, but I've been searching for hours on how to remove the dash - specifically the dash in front of the driver - but I've had no luck. I've seen that awesome post in the How-To articles from LandCruiserSteve and it rocks, but doesn't go into the detail I need. Can anyone help me?

thanks
baker
If you're talking about the dash portion that's below the steering wheel, first remove the silver vent end portion as previously described. Next remove two bolts, one on each bottom corner. Now pull evenly straight back. Upholstery pry tools help but are not really necessary here. The dash is held in place with those body clip things.

Now if you are talking about the portion of the dash with the instrument cluster etc - - - good luck!:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Thanks Bumper -

Yeah... i was thinking more around the instrument panel. There is a small space to the right of the ignition key that I was thinking of drilling in to mount an iPhone holder that would telescope up and put the phone just off the 1:30 position on the steering wheel.

Maybe I should look for a better place for the iPhone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since this is the post that appears front/center when looking for help removing the lower dash panel under the steering wheel, I'll try appending a couple additional comments about that here which would have helped me and saved an hour or so. Here's my experience:

The Toyota guide linked above does have the instructions, including a diagram pinpointing the locations of the screws and clips, and a blowup of the clip itself; it's one panel near the top of page 4. While helpful to show the scope of the task and give a little confidence viz what was involved, it did not (at least to me) explicitly clarify how you deal with the "clips". I found that seriously concerning because in my experience, "clips" come in many shapes and some of them don't release w/out finding the magic little place to press and wiggle a tiny screw driver or to squeeze hard; I have broken more than my share of the g**damn things. That delayed the project an hour or so while I futzed around trying to figure out what I was dealing with. I could not tell from the graphics in the Toyota guide because there was no perspective or description included in the blowup of the clip.

It turns out, of course, it just takes brute force, after the two bolts at the bottom are removed. I couldn't pull hard enough (fear of consequences) but I applied a small plastic trim pry bar to the most flexible spot along the bottom edge left of the steering column near one of the locations the Toyota guide showed a clip. That popped and revealed a clip that I recognized as the type you just yank to get out; however, the rest of them did not want to release. I had to use the small pry bar very firmly at all locations to get the panel off. On my 2007 car the hood release was accessed after releasing the panel and had its own plastic clip which did require depressing a catch to remove - much easier to do that after the panel was off the dash.

It all behaved as hoped, in the end. It just took extra time and definite stress trying to be sure I didn't break that plastic panel which I'm sure is made unobtainium and worth more than gold now.

Regards,
Rufus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding re-install (and probably helpful in removal):

The passenger side of the lower panel, around the ignition key, goes back on fairly easily - with lots of care about aiming the clips into their pockets.

The left side of the lower panel, under the round cylinder form below the A/C vent for the door window, does NOT. Not AT ALL. Until/unless you pull or bump up/out the horizontal cylinder, part of the upper panel. It needs to move out/up about 1/2-3/4" to allow the lower panel clips to line up and push straight into their pockets - especially the top left clip on the lower panel. I did this by bumping the bottom of the cylinder out/up with the heel of my hand; it is held by clips and moved enough to allow reinstalling the lower panel correctly. The upper panel did not fully release and the clips holding it were still partly in their pockets - so it simply pushed back into place and all was well.

Regards,
Rufus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts