Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that big, open area on the dash in front of the front passenger seat? Like a big, blank billboard? I'd like to put some sort of flex netting "pocket", similar in looks and functionality as what's on the back of the front seat. Haven't found anything decent so far that might look stock. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
I considered doing that as well, and did not see anything offered commercially. Imagine you could make one pretty easily ?

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?
Appreciate the suggestion. Have looked at that. Would still prefer netting with some sort of structure on the sides and bottom, but open top. I currently have some flex netting but 1) holes are bigger than I really want, 2) lacks the structure. I don't want to start drilling holes and end up not liking the result.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know that big, open area on the dash in front of the front passenger seat? Like a big, blank billboard? I'd like to put some sort of flex netting "pocket", similar in looks and functionality as what's on the back of the front seat. Haven't found anything decent so far that might look stock. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.
Update - I just ordered a mesh stowage pocket with frame (approx. 11.5" x 4 ") online, something you might normally find in a kayak or boat. So far, seems to be the the closest to what I'm looking for. Going to see how that looks, will post a pic if it works out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Update - I just ordered a mesh stowage pocket with frame (approx. 11.5" x 4 ") online, something you might normally find in a kayak or boat. So far, seems to be the the closest to what I'm looking for. Going to see how that looks, will post a pic if it works out.
Some industrial velcro and 3M double-sided tape will hold a map pocket or other mount in that spot for years. I think it is rated at over 10 lbs. If you need a trial period but don't want to drill, this is a good option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw on a video that someone had pulled the long side panels off and put magnets behind them. Maybe you could do that with the larger panel on the passenger side. If you use strong rare-earth magnets you would be able to attach all kinds of things to the panel and swap them out depending on what you need. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an interesting idea, will consider. I should have the item in the next day or two, will see if I get the look I want, along with the functionality. In the end, I may just end up using self-tapping screws to keep it secured.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Might want to look at how that area acts in the event of airbag deployment. If that is a blow off panel then whatever you hang on there will be embedded in your passenger. Not saying it is or isn't, but worth a look.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might want to look at how that area acts in the event of airbag deployment. If that is a blow off panel then whatever you hang on there will be embedded in your passenger. Not saying it is or isn't, but worth a look.
Thanks. I hear what you are saying. I believe the passenger airbag pops from the top of the dash; some forum discussion around that back in 2013 (including a YouTube crash test video is on a 2007 FJ).
I'm looking to put this plastic and mesh map pocket (pic) on that vertical surface between the center/console "action center" and the passenger door (other pic).

Quite a few folks on the forum have much sturdier (think aluminum, hard plastic) mounted in the spot, so it seems like my setup should be okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carry less stuff?
Ha! Believe me, I carry much less than what I've seen from some other FJers on this site. Just something to stow small stuff like a smartphone, charging cord, etc. without having to put them in the glovebox. Here's a pic of what I just got today (it's approx. 11.5 in wide by 4" high).

Will post a pic if/went I decide to install it.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally installed this mesh map pocket with frame. Came with 6 silver screws, went to the local hardware store and found similar screws in black. Convenient spot for passenger mobile/smart phone, glasses, etc. Pics:

20200504_180742[1].jpg 20200504_180948[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What is directly behind that dash panel? Anything that can be hit when screwing into it?
Unable to see anything removing the glove box because of a panel on top blocking the view.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is directly behind that dash panel? Anything that can be hit when screwing into it?
Unable to see anything removing the glove box because of a panel on top blocking the view.
Screws are only about 1/2" deep. Didn't get into anything I shouldn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts