Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Sacrilege, wood and carbon fibre stick-on appliqués are for (gosh, I went through a whole lot of different disparaging things to say here, JC Whitney, Boy Racer, Dealer sell-fast, but maybe "stick on appliqués" covers pretty much all of that)!

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you want wood, then pull off the part you want to be wood. Get yourself a duplicator or a CNC router and then make it out of real, solid wood. Anything else is just cheap chinese crap that resembles wood.

If you think about it, wood was good enough to use in cars until plastic started encroaching with the introduction of Bakelite. "Woody" panel trucks and vans were being made in the 1930/40s. The nice thing about wood is that it is resistant to a lot of abuse if you take care of it. Before fiberglass took over the world in the 1960s, most personal boats were wood. My grandfather had one when I was a kid and it was 100% wood...

So if you crave wood, then do it - just do it right and with the real thing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you know, I have a fairly pimped out FJ, but the interior lacks a little, I have added a stereo 6: lift winch, lighting interior ambient lighting, I think carbon fiber would look sporty as hell. its ok ill post pics when im gone....... y'all gonna be jealous. jus sayin.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went with 3m carbon fiber vinyl and it was difficult to get it right. Its been installed for about 6 or 7 years now. I need to fix a few places with a heat gun but overall I still like it over the silver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
was just hoping to see some pics.
An option you could go with (I know some people have a love/hate) towards plastidip. But you can do some pretty awesome finishes with it on trim that doesn’t get too much abrasion on. I’ve done a carbon fibre finish, as well as many cool pearlized and chameleon as well. Sky’s the limit! With loads of colour options and always reversible if desired.

Personally I really like my interior finish of black on perforated black with grey/ metal accents, but maybe I’ll change it up in the summer? I usually plastidip one of my motorcycle tanks a different colour every season.

Dipped rims (going on 3 years) and pearlized white tank. (Last years colour)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts