Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I thought about disabling them as well. This was my first vehicle that has had them and I just didn't like them. However, "a funny thing happened on the way to/from work".. LOL.. Three times in the first month of ownership, folks pulled out right in front of me and several other vehicles! I was beginning to think the FJ would be smashed before it was six months old. Well, I replaced the factory units with PIAA UltraWhites and added PIAA 525's to the bumper. The 525's have a blue/white DTRL in them as well and friends would tell me they knew it was my truck at night. I read a few posts here about lights on/off/auto/DTRL etc.. and decided to just leave my main lights on low all the time and let the auto-off feature handle it. Since then, everyone tells me that they can see my truck some distance away as we merge and everyone seems to give me a little "right of way" notice now.. Long story short.. I'm leaving my mains (PIAA) on low beam and my 525's on DTRL. I never have to turn them on or off and don't worry about it.

If you would have asked me about this six months ago I would have said that lights on in the day is a joke and only for nerds.. Not anymore.. Just food for thought.. Cheers.. Ron

Is there any way to override DTRL.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
My $.02....

You all have good points. I just turned mine off for two reasons. It will save fuel, not not much, a fraction of a MPG. I don't like to draw attention to myself when sitting in the car with it running, ya I could turn it off and start with the parking brake on, but....

Yes the DRLs should help other drivers see me. But there's something I've noticed about this. With the headlights fairly close together it gives the illusion of the car being further away. The old Baja Bugs had this problem too.

Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It does give that impression, epically with just the DTRL's. When the PIAA's are on low-beam it clears that up.. Ron

My $.02....

You all have good points. I just turned mine off for two reasons. It will save fuel, not not much, a fraction of a MPG. I don't like to draw attention to myself when sitting in the car with it running, ya I could turn it off and start with the parking brake on, but....

Yes the DRLs should help other drivers see me. But there's something I've noticed about this. With the headlights fairly close together it gives the illusion of the car being further away. The old Baja Bugs had this problem too.

Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I sometimes turn mine off for early morning hunting purposes. Just turn the ignition off and pull up the emergency brake one click while in park. Then restart. When you go in for service, tell then not to adjust the emergency brake tension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts