Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

I have a DC motor fixed to a light bar ...
Wiring it is the pretty tricky because there's 2 wires coming out

I want it to work in twO directions ... Reversing the polarity will changes its direction but how can I wire it ti a SWitch

thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hello ,

I have a DC motor fixed to a light bar ...
Wiring it is the pretty tricky because there's 2 wires coming out

I want it to work in twO directions ... Reversing the polarity will changes its direction but how can I wire it ti a SWitch

thanks
Simple way is to use a Double Pole Double Throw Center OFF Switch (DPDT Center off). Usually marked (ON) OFF (ON) for the Momentary version. There will be 6 wire positions in 2 columns of 3.
Motor + and - go to the 2 middle connections.
+ and - from battery (with inline fuse) go to 2 switch connections at either end of switch (doesn't matter which end).
2 additional jumper wires are crossed between the 4 switch connections on the outside pairs so that they will look like an "X" on the back of the switch.
Use momentary switch if the motor is only operating for brief periods. Motors can draw large currents under load so using relays is a good idea. In that case 2 double pole relays and a SPDT toggle switch or a couple of momentary push buttons to activate the relays would work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Simple way is to use a Double Pole Double Throw Center OFF Switch (DPDT Center off). Usually marked (ON) OFF (ON) for the Momentary version. There will be 6 wire positions in 2 columns of 3.
Motor + and - go to the 2 middle connections.
+ and - from battery (with inline fuse) go to 2 switch connections at either end of switch (doesn't matter which end).
2 additional jumper wires are crossed between the 4 switch connections on the outside pairs so that they will look like an "X" on the back of the switch.
Use momentary switch if the motor is only operating for brief periods. Motors can draw large currents under load so using relays is a good idea. In that case 2 double pole relays and a SPDT toggle switch or a couple of momentary push buttons to activate the relays would work.
I agree. Here is a pic....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts