Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone bashes me I used the search function haha. Could not find anything with a similar problem to mine.

Ok so I just bought and installed DDM H4 35w Hi/Lo 5k with ballasts. My buddy and I followed the directions off of their website and it seems as though all the connections are set up perfect, DRL is unplugged, and grounds are in place. They are indeed wicked lights and as bright as I wanted them.

However, the problem I'm having is when I turn on the lights, the right light (when sitting inside the FJ) does not want to turn on, for at least the first time I turn the light knob on. I don't understand why JUST the right light is off when I start her up. But then if I turn the light knob off....then back on the right light seems to turn on and stays on...wtf lol.

Not sure if anyone has had this problem or has suggestions.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bad ballast is what I suspect.Tried calling DDM yet?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad ballast is what I suspect.Tried calling DDM yet?
That was what I was thinking too. And negative haven't called DDM just yet. Only had them in for about 14 hours lol. But thanks I will call after I get off work prolly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
This is a very common issue with HID kits. I also have the same issue. It is not the ballast or the bulbs. HIDs require much more voltage to fire up and your stock wiring can only offer so much right away. A way around this is to wiring in a relay to pull power straight off the battery instead of going through the factory wiring harness. DDM offers a seperate harness for around 15 bucks to make a clean and easy install. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a very common issue with HID kits. I also have the same issue. It is not the ballast or the bulbs. HIDs require much more voltage to fire up and your stock wiring can only offer so much right away. A way around this is to wiring in a relay to pull power straight off the battery instead of going through the factory wiring harness. DDM offers a seperate harness for around 15 bucks to make a clean and easy install. Hope that helps!
Hmm yea. I remember reading people said they didn't get that extra harness but maybe I just have bad luck lol. Thanks for the info and if all else fails I'll get that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I didn't get the extra harness for mine and they fire right up. I got the 55w version.
Same here. I just bought the standard kit as indicated by one of the topics I read on here and it has been working fine. My buddy also picked one up for his truck and his wife's SUV and both of those have been fine as well.

I'd call DDM before you spend any more money...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here. I just bought the standard kit as indicated by one of the topics I read on here and it has been working fine. My buddy also picked one up for his truck and his wife's SUV and both of those have been fine as well.

I'd call DDM before you spend any more money...
Dang alright haha. Well I'll be messing around with it today. It may just be a bad ground.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd say a relay or its grounded to a bad spot.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have had this issue before, but I flicked th light off and on and it turned on.
I have not had this issue in some time though.
Try and re-seat the plug on the ballast.

D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lol was about to make a post on this same exact issue since I also haven't seen posts on this and decided to search first.

I got mine a few weeks ago and have the same issues. I was thinking ground, loose wiring, etc. but usually symptoms of that are flickering. Once mine are on, they are on 100% - they don't flicker over bumps or anything. I have the 55w kit.

Besides that, pretty friggin amazing mod.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol was about to make a post on this same exact issue since I also haven't seen posts on this and decided to search first.

I got mine a few weeks ago and have the same issues. I was thinking ground, loose wiring, etc. but usually symptoms of that are flickering. Once mine are on, they are on 100% - they don't flicker over bumps or anything. I have the 55w kit.

Ok so everyone thanks for your tips. I ended up messing around with my lights and looked up the support on the DDM website. It turns out its a broken BULB because I switched the bulbs from one side to the other and it still does the same exact thing. So it is NOT the ballast or wiring or grounds. It is the bulb itself. Gonna call DDM tomorrow on monday for a new one. Hope this helps future people with this problem.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So it's a broken bulb? Hmmm I'll have to call them. Sometimes both bulbs don't turn on for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm interesting. But yes for me seems to be the one bulb because the other works fine when I switched sides. So doesn't seem to be the ballasts or wiring. Maybe you have two bad bulbs?

·
Registered
671 Posts
It should be plug and play. If the ground was bad, then your stock halogens would be bad too.
The HIDs have a separate ground from the factory halogen plug that has to be installed on a bolt under-hood.

I have the same issue and also have the 55w kit. Mine is not the bulb because it turns on sometimes but not every time. I think for some reason the ballasts are not getting adequate power at start-up. I have found out that it only happens when I have the lights on auto when I start the truck.

Domino--Let us know what you hear from DDM or if you hear anything since it sounds like there are quite a few of us with the same problem

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Domino--Let us know what you hear from DDM or if you hear anything since it sounds like there are quite a few of us with the same problem
Will do, I'll probably be calling tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Btw I think I said I got 35w bulbs but I actually got 55w 5000k.

So I got a hold of DDM yesterday and they said it was most likely my bulb that was faulty. However, I have to send them both back as a PAIR, and then they send me the new ones, which is silly. So KEEP YOUR OLD BULBS if you have this problem haha. I luckily still have my old ones. Depending on where you live it can take like 5-10 days turn around time to get new ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts