Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just bought two sets a few weeks ago and I am not happy at all. In the past I spent more and got some good quality lights and loved them.I bought the DDM's because they were cheap and everyone else had them. I now regret it. For all the hassle and time spent on them, I would rather have spent the extra money and gotten some quality lights. I know others have been pleased with them, but I would not risk it. Just my $0.02

HIDs are head and shoulders above halogen in the amount of light they put out and I highly recommend them. In the near future, I plan on switching out the DDMs for a pair from The Retrofit Source as well as a pair of their projectors. Here is the link.

The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 55w kit in the 6k color and they put out A LOT of light, just one hid headlight on low is much brighter than both stock beams on high. I had a problem with one of the ballast and it was replaced for free from the company. For $65 I'd say you can't go wrong...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have the 55w 6000k's, and I love them! My original output box, not the ballasts, but I think its callled the relay? It had an issue where it was receiving power but not distributing power. They sent me a new wiring harness, and voila, works like dream...knock on wood. Amazing light output, super bright! Mine are like a chrystal white, sometimes you can see a hint of like an iceberg blue. You will have to angel your lights down a little bit, or you will be blinding the hell out of people! I disconnected my DRL's as well, so they aren't on all the freaking time.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I now regret it. For all the hassle and time spent on them, I would rather have spent the extra money and gotten some quality lights.
Please explain, I had mine in and working in under 20 minutes with no hassle or problems at all. I love em, cheap price, quality product and warrantied for life. :cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Please explain, I had mine in and working in under 20 minutes with no hassle or problems at all. I love em, cheap price, quality product and warrantied for life. :cheers:
Took me about the same time to put them in the first time, not bad at all. But the process of taking them out, waiting to get a response from DDM for the warranty, driving to the parts store to get cheap lights to use for the time the HIDs were out, and then re-installing the HIDs was just a hassle that I think could have been avoided by going with a better quality kit. I should have spent a little more money to be safe, but I decided to go cheap this time and paid for it. I know others have been happy with the DDMs, but I won't buy from them again. This is just my personal opinion.

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Took me about the same time to put them in the first time, not bad at all. But the process of taking them out, waiting to get a response from DDM for the warranty, driving to the parts store to get cheap lights to use for the time the HIDs were out, and then re-installing the HIDs was just a hassle that I think could have been avoided by going with a better quality kit. I should have spent a little more money to be safe, but I decided to go cheap this time and paid for it. I know others have been happy with the DDMs, but I won't buy from them again. This is just my personal opinion.

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining.
Wow bummer man, that does sound crappy

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed my 55w with the high low kit and they are awesome. Plus we have done 3 other set on friends cars and they have all been great so far and they are a great price!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The DDM HID kits are great. I've installed 4 kits so far and had no issues with any of them. I have another kit on the way for my fathers 2011 Jeep wrangler.

·
Registered
535 Posts
-The DDM HID headlights are indeed very cheap, thats why most get them.
-Yes, most have had some sort of difficulty with them, but they are dirt cheap. I guess it can be expected
-If you want a much better brand their is a company called http://www.retro-solutions.com/
Their system is much nicer but quite a bit more. They also custom retrofit lights if you want that kinda thing.

Goodluck

PS: If my DDM's die I am switching back to Retro-Solutions

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input....i still gotta think about it....my friends have been using ddm and it looks sick, no problems but like I said this will probably be on of my later "mods"

also
does anyone know where people get the black angel eyes headlights?...thats something I really would rather do

·
Registered
671 Posts
You can find them on eBay by searching for "FJ projector" and it will come up with a lot of different options that mount where the factory headlights mounted. Others have done a custom retrofit with universal projector/angel eye kits and then painted the chrome housing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have had several DDM kits and they have been hit or miss. Even the set that worked well i had to replace a bulb within a year. I put a German Klight brand kit in the wifes car 3 years ago and it has been flawless. They start up fast and have been completely maintenance free. They generally run about $150. I plan to get this kit for the FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the "angel eye/ projector" headlights off of ebay any good ? i dont want to spend some money on something that'll "**** the bed"

·
Registered
671 Posts
FWIW I have a pair of Hella 700ff driving lights that I converted to HID and used a DDM 5000k 55w kit to replace the H3 halogen bulbs. Well the ballasts went bad on them tonight. They are the second set of DDMs to go bad on me in the last 2 weeks and, both sets were less than a month old. I'll be asking for a refund this time. I don't know if they will do it, but it's worth a shot at this point. I cannot recommend DDM.

As for the eBay, projectors, I would go with a higher quality part from one of the other links posted in this thread. Yes they are more expensive, not by much, but they are also better quality and direct OE replacements.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts