Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! So recently, one of my low beams in my headlights died, so I figured hey! This would be a great excuse to finally get HIDs! And that's exactly what I did. So here is a full list of what to do when installing the HI/LO H4 HID kit from DDM Tuning. And the kit I specifically got was the 8000K 55W HI/LO HID kit. I wanted to get a nice, bright, white color for my lights with a tint of blue in them and normally, an 8000K kit would be a lot more blue, but that is only if it is a 35W kit, when you get a 55W kit, no matter what bulb temperature you go with, the 55W kit will flush out a lot of the color, but is also a lot brighter. So for me, it works perfectly, because I was able to get a perfect match to my LED mirror lights that are a “cool white” color.

Before

After

Here is a picture of the kits contents right after I opened the box.

This is a picture of the HID harness and as you can see, it says H4 for the type of bulb and then HL for the HI/LO function.

Here is part of the ballast where it says that it is a 55 watt kit and that it requires a 12 volt power source.

Here are before pictures of the stock FJ lights, sorry the pictures showing what they look like on a surface are orangeish, my camera would go to sunset settings
DRLs

Low beams - as you can see, one of the headlight filaments are out

High beams

Now for the instructions, first, start with drivers side headlight

Unplug the OEM headlight plug just by pulling the plug straight out

Then remove the rubber weather seal by pulling on the tab

This shows what the headlight housing looks like from the rear after you remove the seal

Now you are going to want to unclip the metal retaining clip which holds/locks the light bulb in place

Then just remove the OEM bulb or whatever previous light bulb you have installed - after this point, I highly recommend wearing gloves so that your skin doesn't come in contact with the HID bulb, any oils that contact the bulb from your skin can ruin the bulb

Here is a picture showing the dual filaments within the stock bulb, this is how the one headlight can have both high and low beams in case you didn't know

Now, carefully remove the foam protection from the HID bulb

Now just install the HID bulb into the headlight housing, the metal shield attached to the bulb will be on the bottom side when you put it in, then you just reclip in the metal retaining clip so the bulb is locked into place

Now run the wires from the bulb through the weather seal and then push the seal down around the bulb

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Next, you're going to take the HID wiring harness and you're going to hook up the positive and negative connections, start with the positive red wire and then hook it up directly to the battery

Then attach the negative connection to the battery's ground connection

After this, you're going to take this plug from the HID harness, and your going to plug it into the OEM bulb plug

Now grab one of the ballasts

And you're going to plug this plug from the ballast into the matching plug from the harness

Next, you're going to be plugging in the plugs from the ballast into the plugs from the bulb

Then you'll plug in this little plug that is right next to the AMP plugs you just plugged in. This is what enables the HI/LO function

Now you'll just repeat what you did on the drivers side for replacing the bulb, but on the passenger side

And then you just connect all the wires on the passenger side exactly like you did on the drivers side

And as for the ground on this side, just make sure you attach it to the frame somehow, I did mine on this bolt on the windshield wiper fluid reservoir since it goes into the frame

After you secure all the wires, ballasts, etc. then you're ready to go!

Low beam

High beam

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just some side notes - as for the OEM plug for the passenger side, this becomes useless so you can just tape it up and do whatever you want with it. Also, as for my day-time running lights with the HIDs, I installed a switch about a week ago so I can turn off the DRLs unless I want them on for something specific like highway driving or dusty roads or whatever.

Here is a link to DDM Tuning's website: http://www.ddmtuning.com/

And as for my LEDs in my mirrors (and any other LEDs in my rig), i went with superbrightleds.com. And I specifically got the 194 LED Bulb - 6 LED Wedge Base, and specifically, the product code is WLED-x6 and the color I chose what the cool white color so it does have a blue hue too it and that's what I wanted to match with these HIDs, and in my opinion, I nailed it!

Here is a link to their website: http://www.superbrightleds.com/

And here are some more before and after pics, and don't worry, soon enough I'll get some comparison pics with my FJ right beside a normal FJ showing both of the lights looking both at the FJs, and looking at the beam pattern from the FJs and the light they throw out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Awesome install write up!!!!! Thanks

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And I know someone asked me about this so here are the cut-off lines of the lights in the stock housing on he low beam.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And here are the comparison pictures to stock FJ Cruiser headlights that i promised.

Low Beams

Both FJs Low beams

Stock FJ Low Beams only

HID Low Beams only

High Beams

Just the stock high beams

HID high beams only

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Looks real good. I'm going to have to order me these. Did you get or see a need for the mounting brackets?

Reactions: Ole Blu

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Thanks for the awesome write up man!! I'm going to be doing this very soon!

I have 3 of their kits- 1 pair of 35watt 5000k and 2 pairs of 55watt 5000k in my hella 500/700 housings and you really can tell a difference in the color of light.

Once again nice write up!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great job, love the consistency between the mirrors and headlights. Do you have nay pictures of the ballast mounting location. I am concerned the wiring is a little shot to do a proper mount hide job. How did you hide / mount yours? Thanks!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
sorry but IMHO these are hazardous to oncoming drivers and have poor output. check out some projector retrofits with bixenon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Just installed my HIDs and I was wondering where did you brace your ballasts? Did you just leave them hanging or did you secure them to the frame somewhere? Thanks for the Forum... it was awesome and very detailed.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
the 55 watts are to bright and will get you stopped by the cops i recommend going with the 35 watt kit with the 8000K bulb...even the 6000K are to bright with the 35 watt kit...35 watt 8000K perfect

1 - 20 of 60 Posts