Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for 15K service yesterday and it was to be $31. I like to stay on the drive while they do the quick service and observed two things I felt were problems.

Since I have the AirAid aftermarket filter I didn't get the replacement air filter I must have been paying for and secondly, I asked about greasing underneath and was told there were zerts on the drive shaft.

The two youngsters performing the work declared themselves done but I knew they had not done the drive shaft lube. I asked and they said they didn't know how to do it. The guy running the computer up top had to go down in the well and show them how to lub the shaft.

Oh my! I can only conclude they don't normally do this and I would have left without the shaft lube if I had not been watching.

Suggest to everyone to ask since it may be the same in your area.

My service was done in Oklahoma City at the Toyota dealer on north Kelly.

M

·
Registered
455 Posts
31 bucks about covers a lube oil filter. I don't think you got charged for an air.
Maybe seek out a reputable independent garage in your area for future work.
You are not forced to go to the stealer. They generally have entry level employees attempt your oil change, as do the quick lube franchises.

·
Banned
337 Posts
You really shouldn't need shaft lube at 15k, but alas if you're paying for it they damn well better do it. Most Toyota techs are young recruits (who do the quick service stuff) and they don't have a clue what to do with any of the extra stuff...find a foreign car service place, generally they know what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Its worth it to do it yourself. I spend more than $31 but it is worth it to me to know it was done right. I lube the rear drive shaft every 5k with M1 synthetic grease and you would be surprised at how much grease the u-joints take to push out the old and refresh to the new (3-4 pumps). The slip yoke only gets a pump or two. I use an M1 filter with Royal Purple 5w-30 oil, clean my k&n air filter, check the cabin air filter, grease the drive shahts, and occassionally clean the throttle body. Rig runs like a champ and gets decent MPG. I do take it to discount tire every 5k to have a 5 tire rotation, BFG ATs have less than half wear at 25k.

·
Banned
337 Posts
Its worth it to do it yourself. I spend more than $31 but it is worth it to me to know it was done right. I lube the rear drive shaft every 5k with M1 synthetic grease and you would be surprised at how much grease the u-joints take to push out the old and refresh to the new (3-4 pumps). The slip yoke only gets a pump or two. I use an M1 filter with Royal Purple 5w-30 oil, clean my k&n air filter, check the cabin air filter, grease the drive shahts, and occassionally clean the throttle body. Rig runs like a champ and gets decent MPG. I do take it to discount tire every 5k to have a 5 tire rotation, BFG ATs have less than half wear at 25k.
You're supposed to pump until grease comes OUT? I thought if grease comes out it means you have broken the spider seal or w\e it's called.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If you want it done right, do it yourself. I learned that the hard way. My dealers screw ups ended up costing me about $2000 and a bunch of time. Bastards.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You got a great price at $31 for a 15K service. The quick oil change is usually $29 and the 5K's are 59-69 here in San Diego.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
You're supposed to pump until grease comes OUT? I thought if grease comes out it means you have broken the spider seal or w\e it's called.
Your not supposed to pump until the grease comes out on a new U-joint. You wind up breaching the seal if you do that and can cause more harm than good. Mine will barely take 1-2 pumps if that.

DEWFPO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts