Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lil Stinky said:
Also a great way to get the FJ I want and not the one the dealer wants to sell me.
I just wanted to add that I live in Phoenix and black vehicles usually bake in the sun here(it does have the white roof though). I also hate the color black though. I want either the yellow or voodoo blue. I dont mind the silver or black cherry either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I spent a week making phone calls first. I believe it was about 6 dealers said "we are selling over invoice" anywhere from 2 to 10,000 !!! of the 3 dealers I actually went to one was selling at invoice but seriously lowballed me on my trade. One was about 7,000 over but said the'll work with me. But before I got back to them, I went to another one today who was just shy of 10,000 over sticker, but !!! they really worked it well. Gave it to me for the real sticker . I'm amazed they can just knock 10 grand off the thing . Who are the fools who actually pay that ?? And really were pretty easy to work with all around. I told them my limit for what my payment had to be, they were able to get withen 14 bucks of my number !!! Once the smoke clears I will end up paying only about 60.00 more a month to drive a brand new, never been farted in awesome looking FJ cruiser !! I know I just added a bunch of years to my payments, but you want to drive something nice, your gonna pay. If the dealer wont work with you, keep walking !!! It took me 3 actual dealer trips before I was happy with the way they were treating me. I walked out satisfied with my purchase and not feeling raped .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Everything is negotiable.

When I put down my deposit they agreed upon $1000 off msrp (which sounded a little too good to be true on this vehicle at this time). However, when it arrived they tried to back out of the deal. We agreed upon $500 off msrp and they gave me the carpet cargo mat and cargo door storage for free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
FJ Boarder said:
Everything is negotiable.

When I put down my deposit they agreed upon $1000 off msrp (which sounded a little too good to be true on this vehicle at this time). However, when it arrived they tried to back out of the deal. We agreed upon $500 off msrp and they gave me the carpet cargo mat and cargo door storage for free.
Let me guess, you did not get that in writing?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Since I started this thread, I thought I'd report back what actually happened.

I picked up my black FJ on Friday, 4/7. I love it by the way! It had the convenience package, but not Upgrade package 1 as I had wanted. The good thing was they had ordered it with the alloy wheels, the locking rear diff, and side curtain air bags. The wheels and locking diff were the absolute must haves for me. They added the roof rack, rock rails, tow hitch, 5 pc all weather mats, and passenger arm rest.

I paid MSRP.

Do I care about 8 speakers versus 6 or a 6 cd changer? No. The stereo sounds great to me, and I use my ipod to hold my music so the cd changer was no big deal. The stereo controls on the steering wheel are insignificant, since the stereo is so close. And then I guess I got black shifter knobs instead of silver. A-Trac would have been nice, but truthfully when I go offroad, it's in the sand, and I don't think any of the A-Trac-like systems do well in sand. In fact, when Toyota took the FJ to Glamis, they turned off the A-Trac. You need some wheel spin in the sand. I'll take the locking rear diff any day over A-Trac, since both can't be active at the same time.

As far as the dealing went, once I was able to ward off the hottie they sent over to try and sell me undercoating, paint sealer, dent wizard service, interior protector, and Lojack, it was pretty smooth sailing.

I did buy an extended warranty. First time ever. I was able to talk them down a couple hundred bucks. The thing about this warranty that was pretty cool is that if you reach the end of the warranty period and haven't made a claim on it, you get the full price of the warranty back minus $50 for an administration fee. Claims on the original Toyota warranty don't count against getting the refund. I had a Toyota timing chain break once after the warranty. Even though I had all the proof of service, and everyone at Toyota said they had never seen a chain break like this, I still had to pay big time to get that engine fixed. That factored into my decision a lot.

The dealer gave free state inspections for as long as I own the truck and the first five oil changes for free.

Then when I was leaving, all the salesmen came out and gathered around and clapped while congratulating me on my puchase. The sales manager gave me a big golf umbrella as a gift. At the same time, a detailer was doing a few last minute buffs on the body with a microfiber cloth. Kind of felt like the awkwardness of being in a chain restaurant on your birthday and all the waitstaff have to come over and sing happy birthday to you.

So overall, I'm pretty happy. I love the truck. It's different than anything else I've driven, and I've been flagged down to stop so people could check it out in the neighborhood.

New car dealership experience was well - a new car dealer experience! Are there really any good experiences? There are just some much better than others and mine was better than many I've read about on this forum. It's much more enjoyable to buy a used car, but the rush of getting my FJ was worth the pain.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got to test drive one. It wasn't the color that I was looking for so they offered me $1000 off MSRP. I didn't get it but there are deals out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i found the best way was to play two or three dealers against each other at the very end of the month. I got $400.00 off msrp but no other goodies

·
Registered
67 Posts
toobroke said:
Let me guess, you did not get that in writing?

It doesn't matter, he got 500 off MSRP!! You know what I saw today?? I went to the dealer to get my VIN number for my God knows when deliver, and they had 3 FJs...All of them showed the normal MSRP sticker but next to it another one with the different options they added on, including LEATHER SEATS!! The prices went up to 35K!!!! One of the vehicles was sold!!...I asked, what if I dont want any of this extra stuff...what was the answer??? any guess?...500 under MSRP is a GREAT DEAL...I might even doubt it a little...sorry:D

21 - 28 of 28 Posts