Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done all the work on my own cars but 4 months ago I injured my back enough that I cant work on cars anymore.

I am now at 20,000 miles on my FJ and at the very least it needs an oil change.

Should I take it to a Jiffy Lube type of place or the dealer and also get a routine maintance service done ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would strongly advise against the Jiffy Lube places.
Dealers are relatively expensive, though..

I always have a performance shop change my oil (unless, I do it myself)..

Idiots from Jiffy Lube are not always sure how to open hood or how to get to an oil cap..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm sure some will say that a Jiffy Lube type place will be fine. Personally I wouldn't. If you've every had one of those places strip the threads from your oil pan as I have you'll never go to them again. :flame::mecry:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I took my last truck to Jiffy Lube once (just before a long trip), I ended up with a rebuilt engine and a lot of headaches due to their work...never again!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Actually if you have a High mileage engine and want a new engine free... Then take it to Jiffy lube:lol:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My little brother worked at Jiffy lube and he barely knew what a spark plug was. They put him in the pit draining fluids. But hey, that's the kind of people they get when they pay slave wages.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,488 Posts
any teenagers on your street who need a mentor?

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Yup, find a good auto shop and let them do it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a friend who used to own several Jiffylubes. Go to the dealer or a shop you trust... (Hope he doesn't read this board)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've been taking my vehicles to a Jiffy Lube in my neighborhood for the past fifteen years - fast, relatively cheap and never any issues.....

·
Registered
574 Posts
No matter who does it you should check (or better yet watch them) the work yourself.

I know a few buddies of mine that have horror stories with both dealerships and quick change places.

I normally look under the vehicle to see if there are any leaks, open the hood to see if they spilled oil everywhere, and check the dipstick.

Same thing with tires, I check too see if they scratched the wheels, watch to see if they use a torque wrench, and check the torque myself before leaving the lot.

I actually caught a Dodge dealership once charging me for a $1000 part they never replaced. It pays to check stuff out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup, I learned that one the hard way. Apparently a GM 4.3 litre doesn't run very far with NO oil in the crankcase!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Dealerships can be a bunch of clueless crooks

But I've had far more issues with a quick lube sort of place.

Who do I trust? Myself of course! At least when I make a mistake it is with the very best of intentions, not because I'm a moron or because I don't give one s***

I suppose if the day came when I could no longer work on my own vehicle, I might as well stop driving

1 - 20 of 25 Posts